Car fixed

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Jan 26, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Got my car fixed

Originally they had quoted me 390

Had confirmed it was 390 to do job on 2 seperate occasions....nothing written just verbal

Go to pick up my car and its 760

What can I do? I am uber pissed as
    1) it's 2 x what its was quoted as
    2) they didnt even call to confirm to go ahead with price

I have my car but havent paid yet. No bank/cc info given but did sign receipt if that means anything

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Dude, you should have gotten a written estimate. I can't believe that they let you take the car without paying for the repair first. :rolleyes:

I would go in and talk to the manager about the situation. Maybe you can come to a compromise.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I know lol. I was kinda shocked I could take it.
    That is what I intend to do

4. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Found out what the parts cost then negotiate with them on the labor since they messed with you on the total cost vs. the quote. Good luck.

5. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Go back and ask to see an itemized receipt. Make it clear that you were quoted the $390 and you didn't approve anything more, but also compromise with them a little. Depending on what was done, I would say don't pay more than meeting them halfway ($575). Then let them know that you can't pay it all now as you didn't budget it costing so much, but that you will pay the total within the next couple weeks.

After that, NEVER go back to them again.

The shop I go to always gives me two numbers for every estimate. One for what they expect the repair to cost and the other number is what it would cost in a worst case scenario. That way I am not shocked if they call and say they need to do such-n-such that will cost so-n-so more...but they ALWAYS call if additional (above lowest quote) work is needed. I trust the guys there and most of the time they get the job done below the original low quote.

6. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

If they legit quoted you $390, offer $390, if they decline, pay them nothing.

Problem solved.

7. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

bad advice here. you'll get a mechanic's lien on your car and be up a creek.

explain your concern and see if they'll cut you a break. if not, pay it and learn from it.

8. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

From wiki on Mechanic's Lien:

9. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Paid

Was able to negotiate it down to 650, so saved 100 and left on good terms with the shop