Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Wow. Way too many things to leave in bag unattended. I don't know where you live but regardless, you should've taken that big load with you. Or at least stored in a safe place -- meaning in the trunk PLUS security locked so that no one can open the trunk from the inside -- not sure if you have that kind of feature. I know Toyota has something like that.

Sorry for your loss! :x

I had someone break in to my car in daylight morning two days ago. Nothing was damaged since the doors were unlocked. It was only a mess and only a few dollars worth of quarters in there was stolen. I'm so glad they didn't find my house key I hid behind some chinese CDs -- something they didn't want. I suspect a bunch of dumb truant kids roaming around pulling door handles.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
Sorry to hear your loss man, but in my past experience, it's good idea to take the important stuff with you, unless you are sure it's safe.

Agreed, I carry a $2,000 instrument around. Getting coffee at Wawa? I'm taking it in. It just doesn't make sense to leave an expensive item, or even change, in your car. People will break in for it. Really, even if you are sure it's safe, there is nothing to lose by taking it with you. It's at most a minor inconvenience, but I would consider losing what sounds like $3,000+ worth of stuff + college work a bit higher on the inconvenience scale.

Sorry to be preachy, but this is common sense. :(

I bought my mac- with my paypal account i wonder if paypal has somesort of policy.

I would give it a shot, but knowing PayPal, the last thing they're going to do is help you. While it seems like they make transactions safe, they're only safe for them. They're hardly interested in helping anyone.

bOx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
man, paypal has pretty bad service. they rank real low in customer services.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
man, paypal has pretty bad service. they rank real low in customer services.

bOx, I read one of your earlier threads stating that your bag wasn't even in sight inside the car but you have to keep in mind that it's xmas time (depending on where you live) and thieves go holiday shopping in people's cars. The most popular retail stores for thieves are Hondas. It doesn't matter if something is visible, thieves are smart enough to know that people leave stuff in their cars.
Neither Paypal or Apple can help you. Apple is just a retail store and they don't monitor the customer serial numbers. They may be able to keep a note on your account that the serial number was stolen and if it ever gets repaired they may refuse the repair but they cannot confiscate it.

It will be difficult to get restitution from your dad's or anyone's insurance company since there are so many items that got ripped off and it's really hard to prove what was in your bag. As I mentioned earlier it's the holidays and insurance companies are well aware of customers making fake claims so they can get some free expensive xmas gifts. Your friend should not be driving around in a car without insurance and he should've advised you to take your stuff with you since he's not covered.
Good luck to you.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
That really bites. Well I guess you can report it to your local police station...and also check with your insurance it's probably covered. (My father's home insurance covers laptops up to $4,000 for being stolen/destroyed etc.)

Good luck.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Aww, that really sucks. It was around thanksgiving time too. Hope that somehow luck will cross paths with you and return the stolen items. Wish I could help out somehow, but I'm just some 15 year old kid. No income or else I would throw you some cash. ;)

bOx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
thanks for the wisdom and condolences. my dad says he'll pitch in this holiday season to help me get a new one. We won't be claiming it through homeowners insurance they' going to give us a run for our ****. so I'm going to get a new one. and this time im installing some theft software and carrying that bad boy with me everywhere.

ps. my friend drives a 05 mini cooper and he has insurance. just not theft coverage.

MBPDiva

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
on Orion's Belt
my friend car gets broken into. now i find out that his car aint even covered for theft. nothing is covered.

Wow that sucks man. :( Are you sure he isn't lying to you about his insurance? What state are you in? Don't they suspend your license if you don't have car insurance?

MBPDiva

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
on Orion's Belt
thieves are smart enough to know that people leave stuff in their cars.
He's right. Especially if they see you glance at the back seat before you walk away from the car. When leaving valuables in a car, most people will look to make sure their valuables aren't in plain view. But that action tips off a determined thief to the fact that something is back there. I never ever leave anything of value in my car. If it's in a backpack, it goes on my back. Sorry for your loss dude. That really bites. :(

WayneStewart

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Checking pawnshops

yes they smashed the windows.

and yes, i need to call apple tomorrow. and i'm also taking a trip to all the nearby pawn shops to see if i get anyluck on finding mylaptop. all ican is cross my fingers.

Around here some pawnshops wait 2-3 weeks before displaying items. You can guess why. You can try now but check them agin in a month

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.