Car Head Unit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deathnotepromit, May 24, 2008.

1. deathnotepromit macrumors newbie

Trying to find the best head unit for iphone.

Does the DEH-P700BT work well?

2. drogers macrumors newbie

Not really. I realize this is probably coming too late, but for the purposes of helping those googling this in the future...

Most functions of the deh-p700bt (and/or 7000bt) work just fine with the iphone, with on glaring exception: if you receive a call while listening to music/podcasts/etc on your iphone, the iphone will NOT resume playing once the call is complete. In order to get the music playing again, you have to unplug your iphone, fiddle with it (press play until you hear music, maybe kill the ipod app by holding down the hard key, and once in a while actualy reset the iphone), then plug it back in again.

The only work-around at this time is to use the iphone controls for playback as you would with any head unit that just had an aux-in instead of ipod integration. So basically, you're paying for a feature you can't really use.

I'm returning mine for a parrot rk8200 when they ship (6/23), since there aren't really very many choices for BT+iPod at this price point.

3. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info, I'm getting my car back from the shop tomorrow, and they installed a brand spanking new Pioneer 700 in there. Of course, I won't have my iphone until July 11th. Hopefully the bluetooth has improved.

I'm assuming in the G1 iphone, the bluetooth audio doesn't work right, so you can't play music over bluetooth, you have to plug the dock cable in right? The pioneer 700 supports playing and controlling audio playback through bluetooth so you don't have to have a cable plugged into your phone, but who knows if that works with the new iphone 3g or not (and talk about BATTERY HOG!)... ;)

I think the bugs you refer to could be fixed with a new firmware, so hopefully Apple fixes them... Not resuming music playback after a call is complete is lame.

Speaking of which, what about if you're listening to music through your WIRED headset while walking down the sidewalk and get a phone call? Does it resume playback after the call is complete?

Also, what if I plug a regular ipod in and just use my iphone to do phone calls on the Pioneer, will it resume playback of the ipod after call ends on the iphone (or any other bt phone for that matter)??

4. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

You're referring to A2DP bluetooth, this is not on the 3G iPhone, unfortunately. it is capable, from a hardware standpoint, but apple ''crippled'' the 3g iphone and it can't do this Stereo music streaming function.
    Very sad...

also, I have an Alpine iDA-x100 and love it

5. m477h3w macrumors 6502

Oooo, this looks VERY nice! Does it work with the iPhone? I really want a stereo for my car that will allow me to do the following;

- Charge iPhone.
    - Fully navigate iPhone music and videos from the stereo, and have them display on the stereo screen.
    - Bluetooth hands free calling so I can make and receive calls using the stereo, with sound coming through the car speakers.
    - I also wonder, when I buy the 3g iPhone :D if it would be possible to have sat nav running on the iPhone screen, whilst still playing music and receiving calls through the stereo?

Any ideas?

6. drogers macrumors newbie

This isn't a iPhone bug, it's a pioneer bug - the exact same stuff works with plenty of other equipment (wired headset, parrot, jawbone, mazda factory car kit, ford sync, drive+play, i've tried a lot of them) without problem, it's only the pioneer that screws things up. When I asked them about it pioneer basically gave me the tech support version of a shrug and said to live with it.

As for the bluetooth part, the iPhone doesn't support a2dp, so none of the 700s a2dp features will work.

As for the head unit, it's going back, and my RK8200 is on it's way...

7. russellmj macrumors newbie

Are you guys using unlocked or jailbroken phones? Just curious cause I'm looking at this HU also. Going to get #g next month. Someone posted this video on Youtube. I asked him if he was having the problem described, and you can read his reply. He does state his phone is just running the latest software version.

8. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I think the new Pioneer F series is the closest to full iPhone integration that is out right now.

The unit pulls address book, has voice dialing, and full iPod integration except video.

I will be buying the AVIC-F700BT as I don't need DVD since my iPhone can work as a video player. I will probably just hook it up via Pioneer USB cable and then buy the Apple cable for video. This way I can easily switch between Video and full iPod integration. Soon enough someone should get Video working on iPod Touch and iPhone.

9. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

The new Pioneer AVIC series is AWESOME. The voice command is really cool, although I'm not sure if it works as well as Ford Sync, since I haven't tried it yet.

Unfortunately, I just got a new Premier DEH-P700BT head unit, so I'm going to live with it for a while, I just had to shell out $500 for my insurance deductable for all the demages from my car being broken into. I'm just lucky they replaced me with the shiny new Pioneer instead of making me get another factory unit. It was probably cheaper for them anyway.

The DEH-P700BT works GREAT. The bluetooth integration with my Motorola Q phone (which I will retire when I buy my iphone on July 11th) is very sweet. I get into the car and it ALWAYS recognizes the phone and pairs with it. I call someone and my ipod pauses. I end the call and it immediately resumes where I left off.

Also, if I take the head unit out, when I come back to my car and put the head unit on, playback resumes. Even when I take everything out (head unit, ipod, etc) and then plug them all back in, it still resumes playback which is just amazing!

Yes, I'm paranoid and remove everything from my car every time I come home at night now. No use going through that ordeal again!

It will be interesting to see how well the new iPhone works. Maybe a future update for the iPhone to enable A2dp will improve the overall functionality. And you never know, Pioneer could release a firmware update, the unit is capable.

10. ScootPatoot macrumors regular

So I have a couple of questions for you. I am planning on buying an iPhone and a new HU for my car and was looking into this unit.

1 - Are you using the Alpine KCE-422i cable to connect the iPhone to the HU?
    2 - Are you also connected via bluetooth to a ear piece to make/receive calls?
    3 - If you aren't connected via BT for phone calls, how are you setup for the phone portion of the iPhone with this HU?

I guess I'm a bit confused with using a cable for music. I'm not sure how the phone portion would work. If Apple implemented A2DP everything would be so much easier...

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I have a Sony head unit in my Smart Roadster which I paid around £100 for. It connects to the iPhone with the regular dock adapter and plays music from the iPod on the iPhone only. It doesn't do calls, but then, I don't really want it to when I'm in the car.

12. ScootPatoot macrumors regular

Well, I need mine to field calls while I'm in my car at times. That is why I would like it to be "hands-free" and i was wondering how this worked with this unit.

Hopefully Donz0r will have time to post a reply to my question.

13. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Technically your iPhone can multitask, you can plug it into either a standard head unit, playing music off it. Then open up the youtube app and view videos which actually plays the audio out the car speakers. Any programs that are not associated with the iPod app can run while your iPhone is playing music through the car. So i guess it would work.