Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmdor

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
Drains battery, doesn't charge it

Whoa -- I just found out that my 30-pin adapter on my '04 Prius, while it does feed audio out, etc., doesn't charge my iPhone. It looks like it actually drains the battery! I think I've heard this before on ilounge -- anyone else seeing this?

mmcatee

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
My setup

OK while my Corolla does not not have built in integration, I was pleased to see that my my Iphone connects to my Eclipse car stereo and then the Iphone connects to my Garmin GPS bluetooth and works great.
Call comes in music gets muted I pick up the call through the GPS and then when done the music comes back on.
Iphone charges while connected. I am a happy camper

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
So, you get in your car and your iPhone connects automatically with your car's handsfree because you've paired them before.

Does this mean that when you pick up your iPhone and make a call on it (using just the iPhone), that the call will automatically be routed through your car's handsfree? If not, what do you have to do to do this?

If you get a call while in your car, you just press your "answer" button in your car...but what about when you dial out using the iPhone (assuming no phonebook in your car's display, or any other way to dial out except using the iPhone itself)?

copland007

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
All good questions :) I was actually very impressed with how the iphone handles the blue-tooth HFL in the car. With my razr if I initiated a call on the razr i had to command my car to 'transfer' the call to the HFL (the person on the other end of the line heard me say 'transfer' kinda loud).

The iphone has a source menu it brings up and you can choose iphone, speaker, or HFL and with the tap of your finger it makes the switch.

You can play with that source menu regardless of how you initiated the call, either originally from the iphone or through the HFL.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
All good questions :) I was actually very impressed with how the iphone handles the blue-tooth HFL in the car. With my razr if I initiated a call on the razr i had to command my car to 'transfer' the call to the HFL (the person on the other end of the line heard me say 'transfer' kinda loud).

The iphone has a source menu it brings up and you can choose iphone, speaker, or HFL and with the tap of your finger it makes the switch.

You can play with that source menu regardless of how you initiated the call, either originally from the iphone or through the HFL.

Cool, thanks. That's the button that takes the place of the "Speaker" button when you're connected to a bluetooth device, right?

As soon as you press dial, while the phone rings out (waiting for the other person to answer), is this button available THEN? Or does it only become available AFTER the call has been answered?

It'd be good to transfer to the HFL straight away before the person picks up.

copland007

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
looks like the behavior is it brings up the source menu as soon as you start a call from the iPhone, but it didn't let me really switch the source until there was an active call (other party picks up).

This might just be acura's HFL implementation because I remember with the razr if I tried to transfer while ringing it gave me an audio error "no active call".

And yes if you hit the 'hide source menu' it docks to where the speaker button is.

JRGsiPhone

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2007
still no problems?

Bluetooth integration with my '07 BMW 5 series was seamless; full control from steering wheel and iDrive, including voice activated dialing by speaking a number or by contacts. Pulls the entire contact list, rather than just the "favorites" list as my Treo 650 did.

I paired with my '08 5 series. It was working fine at 1st, but now the connection is unstable - disconnecting and reconnecting constantly. Was not a problem with my Blackberry. Tried deleting the device and pairing again, but issue persists.

llarson

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Garmin Nuvi 360 Bluetooth hands free calling

I have a Garmin Nuvi 360 GPS and it synced with my iPHONE and uploaded all 230 of my contacts.

With its wireless FM transmitter I can play all my calls through the car speakers and accept, place and see incoming calls.

I have a '06 Murano with an iPOD integration module and all I do is put the iPHONE in the holder attach the cable and play my music through the stereo.

IPONE even mutes the music when a call comes in.

The 360 has a built in mic that works will I am told by people I have spoken to.

gervase87

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
Yep, works great with WiFi off. Thank you so much for the tip!

Hopefully they will correct this issue with a software update!

Thanks - I have a 2007 BMW 6 series - I had the same problem with the cutting out - so I'll try turning off WiFi.

Question: I also have the optional ipod dock in my armrest (my ipod worked fine) but my iphone won't play music - at first it still played music on the iphone when attached (nothing out of the car speakers) - then I got a stereo adaper by Belkin becuse of the earphone jack being recessed - now it must be registering, as there is no music coming out of Iphone, but it is just blank air, i.e nothing coming out of either the iphone or the speakers? any suggestions?
Thanks

stomachdoc

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2004
Outside of Boston
I paired with my '08 5 series. It was working fine at 1st, but now the connection is unstable - disconnecting and reconnecting constantly. Was not a problem with my Blackberry. Tried deleting the device and pairing again, but issue persists.

Turning off the WiFi makes the BMW bluetooth connection work with no instability. Why this would be I'm not sure as they are different frequencies, I'm hopeful they will fix this with a software update. Wasn't a problem with my Treo, but the Treo didn't have WiFi. Interestingly, the Bluetooth works fine with WiFi on with a regular Jabra headset, so maybe it's a BMW problem with WiFi interference.

1chocolate1

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
New Jersey
Now that the iPhone works well in the Lexus, (speakers, ringing, caller name appearing on the navig. window) how do we program numbers in? Forget calling Lexus.

grappler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
If you want that much functionality out of your car stereo, and have it display very similarly to the way the iPhone shows it, wouldn't it make more sense to just get a dash mount and mount the actual iPhone there and use it?

I thought of that actually... the iPhone then effectively becomes the faceplate of your car stereo, and you would naturally remove it when leaving the car. I kinda like that idea!

I also like the idea someone mentioned above of a car's GPS receiver feeding the iPhone its current position. Then the iPhone used in the dash this way could make a great moving map...

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
I paired my iPhone with a Lexus RX350 in about 20 seconds from start to finish. Works perfectly except you can't transfer the phonebook. But that's NOT the car kits fault, except of course for the fact that it wants a copy of the phonebook rather than just using Bluetooth to access the phonebook on the phone itself. The reason you can't send contacts to the car kit is that there is no option on the iPhone to send contacts (not even a single contact let alone all of them) via Bluetooth. Turns out this isn't something I care about anyway, as the nanny state rules Lexus and it won't let me browse the contacts list if the car is moving in any case, so I have no choice but to use the contacts list on the phone (looking down at the phone instead of glancing at the screen in the car. Way to go Lexus.)
t

In my wife's 400h, I used an old Treo 650 I had on the shelf to transfer the phone book to the car. Her iPhone doesn't know the difference. Works great.

NYCAVS

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2007
Mercedes?

Does anyone know if the iPhone will work with past or latest (2008) mercedes handsfree systems... in particular the phone and ipod features?

Thanks!!

carman63

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Same problem with my A3, and it also happens in my wife's A4 with Nav. I've read reports of this with Audis in a few Audi/VW forms as well. There appears to be a compatibility issue with the Audi bluetooth implementation. Hopefully it can be fixed with a software update.

Any Audi owners here NOT having this problem?

I had that problem in my A6. Do you have a car charger connected to the iPhone? I found that, if I plug in my iPhone to a charger, I never lose the connection. So I suspect it's some implementation of how Audi deals with BT devices that switch into a low-power mode. I've had this problem with other phones as well, so I can't blame the iPhone.

If you have a charger handy, try it!

EDIT: If you're using a built-in iPod charger/connector, my solution may not work. I use an FM transmitter and/or a standard car charger. No iPod integration available for my Audi just yet. But I do think it's because the iPhone goes into a reduced-power mode (when on battery only) that the Audi BT implementation doesn't recognize, and drops the connection.

carman63

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
I have a Garmin Nuvi 360 GPS and it synced with my iPHONE and uploaded all 230 of my contacts.
<snip>
The 360 has a built in mic that works will I am told by people I have spoken to.
My StreetPilot c550 works the same way. And the speakerphone does an excellent job.

Malakas07

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
Dice

I've been seeing rumors that Dice Electronics are creating an all in one for the iPhone.

Intergrate iPod, Charge and Hands Free.

Hopefully this will be soon. This is what I'm looking for.

I don't want to buy a parrot and ipod intergrations.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Volvo S80 Full Integration

Just in case anyone wants to know, my 2006 Volvo S80 integrates with the iPhone via Bluetooth (for phone calls, voice activation, contact lists *you have to create contacts within the Volvo Bluetooth device*) and uses a car microphone and the car speakers.

As for the iPod portion of the iPhone, full integration with normal iPod hard-wired kit option. Can manipulate the iPhone's iPod portion with stereo system via the buttons on the steering wheel.

Completely and utterly sweet.

cipher0

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
Anyone familiar or have thoughts on the Parrot RHYTHM N (http://store.everythingiphone.com/content/accessories/3-87--508.htm)??

I am looking for in all in one Iphone input into car stereo and bluetooth pairing with microphone located somewhere in the car.

I would like to mount the Iphone using proclip or some other solution and really just use the Iphone as the display. I also need the mount to act as a dock so once I set the phone in it, charging and input into the stereo occurs. Is there a better alternative or is this the best right now?

I have a Hyundai with stock stereo and no aux input so I think I have to get a new head unit... ?

ollie3856

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
I have the Audi A3 and have the same issues with bluetooth dropping...i guess somewhat reassuring that it's not just me experiencing it, can anyone else confirm a more steady connection while plugged into a charger?

sleepkreep

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2007
If you want that much functionality out of your car stereo, and have it display very similarly to the way the iPhone shows it, wouldn't it make more sense to just get a dash mount and mount the actual iPhone there and use it?

no. When you're driving you don't want to have to concentrate on the screen. You need big text and big buttons so you don't have to focus on what you're doing. A bigger screen would simply be necessary.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
So does anyone know if the Iphone works with this Pioneer Ipod interface device? I am sure that sound would transfer but would the controls on the stereo change songs, and like it says will the song titles show on the Car CD Player? If anyone knows please help me out!

I guess I should have got the bluetooth in my '08 Viper! Yeah I don't have a Viper I just wish I did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.