Car (iPhone 3G)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Mac., Dec 22, 2008.

1. Mac. macrumors 6502

What's the best reasonably priced product that will allow me to plug in my iPhone 3G and play muisc through my car stereo?

It doesn't have to have a dock, and it doesn't have to 'charge' my iPhone either. I just want to play tunes through my stereo.

Thanks in advance.

2. garnaby macrumors newbie

Hi, it depends on which stereo you have. If you have an aftermarket one that you bought yourself (not one which is factory fitted) you can get the ipod connections. They usualy run via the CD chnager control port. I have a Kenwood Head Unit (TV/DVD) and the iPod adapter and it works fine you control the ipod on the screen.

Most big brands will have adapaters.

The other way is if the head unit has an AUX input you can just get a cable with a male 3.5mm jack on each end and run it through that way. You will use the iPod in the normal way.

3. Mac. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

4. mets1125 macrumors regular

I am in a similar situation...I think I am going to buy a fm transmitter. I really did not want to but I do not have the money right now to change my car radio.

5. gnortenjones macrumors regular

My experience with mp3 player FM transmitters has been a bit dodgy. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere in a radio dead zone, you're probably going to have trouble finding a frequency that doesn't get static as you drive, especially if you drive near a city of any size.

If I were in your situation, I would probably save up a little, and buy a cheap stereo with an aux in port, and use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable as someone else suggested. That's what I use, and it works perfectly fine.

6. Mac. thread starter macrumors 6502

7. JackMaurer macrumors member

JackMaurer

either get an iTrip or one of those tapes you put in a tape player and its got a headphone jack coming out of it

8. Bodah macrumors regular

This is the transmitter I use

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13234

I think it is the same as PDO's CarFM.
    It is the strongest FM transmitter I have ever used. If you can solder, you can probably solder a wire onto it to give it an "antenna" to make it even stronger.

9. Mac. thread starter macrumors 6502

10. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816