Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
I'm after something like the Kensington LiquidAUX to work in my car. I just had an email reply from Kensington Europe saying that the LiquidAUX is not meant to work with iOS4 and so is 'not compatible' (although it can work, I believe there is a buzzing sound?)

EDIT: I checked the email again and the product code that was included in the reply was for a Kensington iPod charger! The stupid support rep didn't appear to know what I was talking about when I said 'LiquidAUX'...

I've been told that sound quality is better through the dock connector, so I'm just looking for something that can charge my iPhone 3GS and has an AUX cable from the dock connector. I've come across the Griffin AutoPilot, but basically just want opinions on what's best.

Any recommendations or alternative setups would really be appreciated.

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
It looks like the Griffin AutoPilot could be a good alternative.

I just need to know if they both work okay with an iPhone 3GS on iOS4, without buzzing and the 'This accessory is not optimized for this iPhone' message.

nd4speed

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
I'm after something like the Kensington LiquidAUX to work in my car. I just had an email reply from Kensington Europe saying that the LiquidAUX is not meant to work with iOS4 and so is 'not compatible' (although it can work, I believe there is a buzzing sound?)

I've been told that sound quality is better through the dock connector, so I'm just looking for something that can charge my iPhone 3GS and has an AUX cable from the dock connector.

Any recommendations or alternative setups?

That's unusual. I'm using a LiquidAUX Deluxe and it works just fine with iPhone 4 (no buzzing, static, or "incompatibility" notification on the iPhone). Perhaps it's just "not supported by Kensington" with iPhone 4. FYI the LiquidAUX and LiquidAUX deluxe both use the dock connector.

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
That's unusual. I'm using a LiquidAUX Deluxe and it works just fine with iPhone 4 (no buzzing, static, or "incompatibility" notification on the iPhone). Perhaps it's just "not supported by Kensington" with iPhone 4. FYI the LiquidAUX and LiquidAUX deluxe both use the dock connector.

That's great to hear, thanks!

Do you use the remote on the steering wheel? I'm thinking that I would probably get sick of the remote on the wheel as I can imagine there is quite a noticeable bump when running your hand over it. The Griffin AutoPilot has the buttons on the actual charger, which may be less gimmicky and more useful for me.

nd4speed

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
That's great to hear, thanks!

Do you use the remote on the steering wheel? I'm thinking that I would probably get sick of the remote on the wheel as I can imagine there is quite a noticeable bump when running your hand over it. The Griffin AutoPilot has the buttons on the actual charger, which may be less gimmicky and more useful for me.

Yes, I actually like the remote a lot. I have it mounted at 1 o'clock so it's there when I need it, but out of the way most of the time.

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
Yes, I actually like the remote a lot. I have it mounted at 1 o'clock so it's there when I need it, but out of the way most of the time.

I definitely like the idea of it, and would be happy to go with the LiquidAUX providing that I don't have buzzing. Which iPhone and OS are you currently using with it?

nd4speed

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
I definitely like the idea of it, and would be happy to go with the LiquidAUX providing that I don't have buzzing. Which iPhone and OS are you currently using with it?

I'm using it with an iPhone 4, IOS 4.0.2.

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
I decided to go with the Kensington LiquidAUX and the Just Mobile Xtand Go, mainly for the remote (I finally decided) and so I can decide whether to stick the cradle to my dash or the windscreen. The Xtand seems pretty rugged compared to others.

Thanks guys!

dork420

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2007
I decided to go with the Kensington LiquidAUX and the Just Mobile Xtand Go, mainly for the remote (I finally decided) and so I can decide whether to stick the cradle to my dash or the windscreen. The Xtand seems pretty rugged compared to others.

Thanks guys!

where are you buying it? I can only seem to find the Liquid Aux deluxe that comes with the mount which I do not want.

gage006

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
I've got the LiquidAux on my 3G with 4.0 and it works great. No issues, no buzzing. The remote doesn't work very well, but it never has for me. I believe I'm one of the few that it doesn't though so I wouldn't take that into account. I don't think I'll ever not use it, honestly. It's too damn convenient.

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
I've got the LiquidAux on my 3G with 4.0 and it works great. No issues, no buzzing. The remote doesn't work very well, but it never has for me. I believe I'm one of the few that it doesn't though so I wouldn't take that into account. I don't think I'll ever not use it, honestly. It's too damn convenient.

That's awesome, thanks! Both products have shipped, I'm pretty confident that they will be fine.

I've got a question for anyone that uses a clamp and charger/AUX combination:
Do you guys leave everything setup in the car? Do you take anything down/out or always leave it set up?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.