Car mount?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Monssef, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Monssef macrumors member

Anybody can recommend a durable car mount that fit with the case. I was looking at luxa2 h5. But its a bit pricy.
    [​IMG]

2. meihcydna macrumors regular

3. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

4. Monssef thread starter macrumors member

I had that one before. The part that connects to the arm is broke. Also it doesnt rotate 360 its only rotate 180 to the right and 180 to the left. When I used a thiker case with it. It bearly grabs onto the phone.

I wish they make all the mounts that fit with cases.

5. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Even pricier - the Magellan car kit

I have a beanbag dashboard mount that I use it with. iPhone 4S works fine with a case so long it's not one of the huge ones with thick rubber around the connectors. I have a TPU one. I'm not sure how robust the Magellan is. I had one that I purchased in September 2010 that stopped working last week so I just got the new one. All fits, all works, it charges the iPhone it pairs with your phone via BT and the speaker makes GPS directions (from Navigon in my case) nicely loud.

6. jedolley macrumors 68000

Depends on the case... According to ProClips they make one that works, "For most common Silicone and Shell cases. Including the 2nd Gen. Apple Bumper and OtterBox Cases."

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath=383&pageid=15349&processor=content&pcategoryid=13759&categoryid=18357&lightwindow=true&usermode=_dualselect&v_pcat=&v_cat=&year=&d_pcat=13759&d_cat=18357&have_holder=false&have_mount=true&p_pageid=1&dtype=

7. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Look into the Mountek... it mounts on the CD drive of your car radio, which I find to be a better location than the dash or the windshield. It may obstruct some of your radio controls, but this is a non-issue in my car since I have steering wheel mounted controls. It worked with my Otterbox Commuter, so it should work with any other case you have.

[​IMG]

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I just use a clamp style mount that attaches to my car heater vents. Accomodates any size case and can be found at Marshalls, Ross, Best Buy, Walmart for 12 bucks or so

9. boraxatude macrumors member

I started out with a proclip but it never really fit the way it was supposed to in my particular vehicle. The phone holder was great but not the car mount. After a few weeks, it became a two-handed operation, to take the phone out of the holder so the mount did not un-mount from the dash.

Then, I tried a couple of different cheapo air vent mounts. Good idea but cheaply made and again, a two-handed operation. Sudden stops and the whole thing came down.

Then a unique magnetic mount, but it was too fragile and required a permanent magnet to be attached to the back of the phone or case, plus the angle of view was not adjustable enough.

On to this mountek cd mount. This works. Not perfect, but close. One-handed operation to drop the phone in and take it out. Solid as a rock. I never play cds so no problem there. And in case you flip flop between cars, no problem. The mount is not permanent and takes just a few seconds to install/uninstall. It's universal, so any phone with or without a case is fine. I'm very satisfied.

p.s. just saw that SuperSnake posted the mountek. Yep. It works.

10. Bear807 macrumors member

I recommend exomount although it is slightly expensive but the holder is universal so you can mount anything you like!

11. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Clear line of sight for GPS

I went with a dashboard mount because Navigon only works with GPS and so requires a clear line of sight to the sky. I wasn't convinced that Proclip or Montek would do the same. Both look like they'd work in my car otherwise (Honda Element 2005).

12. jedolley macrumors 68000

I don't know about the OP, but Mountek would not work for me. Due to the use of the CD tray, the mount/phone would block too many controls (some important) and possibly the radio/sync display. However, it would work in my Wife's care as the CD is at the top and there is nothing above it that it would block. So it depends on the vehicle and whether or not you use your CD tray.

Attached Files:

13. dthree36 macrumors regular

I use the Breffo spider dock. yo can shape it to fit just about any opening. The beauty about it is that I can use it any any car or on my bike.

14. takeshi74, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

They have adjustable mounts for use with cases.

It's impossible to guarantee compatibility with all cases out there given the range of dimensions of cases.

I've never cared for ProClip's vehicle mounts as they tend to rely on friction and double sided tape. I've always use Panavise's brackets which securely mount to the vehicle and have mounting holes compatible with ProClip's.

I've used ProClip mounts mainly for GPS in all my cars for well over 6 years. The GPS receiver needs to be able to pick up signal from the GPS satellites which isn't necessarily the same thing as line of sight. Some materials that obstruct vision do not obstruct GPS reception.

15. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

I and others found this one very good....$28... and well reviewed car phone holder (and works not only for iPhone). 299 positive reviews on Amazon.

The important thing is that it comes with a 'Smartpad' that allows it to be stuck (temporarily) to the dashboard, OR the window.

Satechi CR -3600 car holder mount for iPhone 4S, 4, 3G & 3GS, BlackBerry Torch, HTC EVO, DROID, Samsung EPIC on Windshield and Dashboard

Comes with custom holder for naked iPhone, and another for in a cased iPhone, or for ANY phone. Very well made and is only $28. See the Amazon reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Black...IPOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326732769&sr=8-1

16. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I will also vouch for these guys. I have this one:

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionp...older=false&have_mount=true&p_pageid=1&dtype=

I actually purchased it a bit cheaper from an Ebay Seller. It has adjustable sides for a perfect fit, I use an iSimple so music goes through my Stock stereo and charges, plug it into the bottom of the Proclip. The mount I use was screwed into the side area of the radio/vent area where there is a slit.

I have been using these docks since I had my first Treo.

17. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

18. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Thanks for the info. I've been looking for something like this for a long time. I just ordered one. :D

19. Monssef thread starter macrumors member

I went to micro center store and they had the luxa2 h5, the one that I posted in this thread. I tried it in my phone. What I can tell you, is the best car mount I ever seen. Made out of aluminum just like the lcd's wall mount. The rotation is 360 degrees and very smooth u dont ever hear a click. It holds the phone very firm. I ended up getting it even it was more expensive than any other car mounts. Driving with zero shake. I owned a lot of car mount through ou th years but this one is the best hands down. Thank you guys for all the inputs.

Here is one review from youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Il77_Q3twI

20. iToNe24 macrumors regular

21. jeffeynboo macrumors newbie

I saw the demo video on their website, and they showed the mount in "reversible" mode where the suction cup was mounted on the iPhone and the clips were placed on the vent.

I'm thinking about picking this one up!

22. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

23. viewfly, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Can still highly recommend this holder. With the soft 'smartpad' removable disk (between dash and holder)mounted to my black dash very securely. Traveled 209 miles and still firmly attached.

314 5 star reviews on Amazon. $28.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

24. daddyd302 macrumors member

daddyd302

I've heard good things about igrip. It suppose to be really strong and not fall off your windshield like the majority of the products on the market. The model I was interested in was the igrip rok. It doesn't vibrate from the reviews I've seen.

I ordered the igrip rok from Amazon, but the holder doesn't open up all the way. It barely fits my Iphone naked. I ordered it for my Galaxy Nexus, and some guy had one on that forum and showed me pictures of his holder, it opened bigger then mine. I haven't used it or tested it on my car. I'm sending it back for a replacement.

http://www.amazon.com/iGrip-Universal-Phone-Windshield-Mounting/dp/B002YMOHE2/ref=pd_vtp_e_1

http://www.igrip.eu/