Car Mounts: Cradle or Magnet?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kcellup, Oct 12, 2015.

1. kcellup macrumors regular

kcellup

Everyone has their own opinion on where to put a mount (vent, windshield, dash, cd slot, etc.) but what do people think works the best as far as how it is mounted?

2. ScottC7, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015

ScottC7 macrumors regular

ScottC7

The Quad Lock system works best for me. It comes with a circular base that has 3M VHB tape on the bottom. You can stick it wherever you want and then the mount itself sticks, via suction, to the inside of that base. It works very well.

3. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I use one of the cheap magnet setups from eBay. Circular black magnet on your dash and flat thin black magnetic plate stuck to the back of a shell case (or inside it if you don't want it to be visible). Works perfectly and really convenient.

4. cshk9574 macrumors member

5. yngrshr macrumors regular

Curious about this myself.

6. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

No it has no effect on the phone or NFC whatsoever. It's an incredibly neat option as opposed to a chunky car phone holder. I think I paid about £5.00 on eBay. Also the circular black magnet that sticks to your dash is barely noticeable when the phone is not attached to it. Oh and it's strong too, the phone has never fallen off or anything like that!

7. kcellup thread starter macrumors regular

kcellup

Do you have a link to this product?

8. ghrimm macrumors newbie

9. brown.eyed.girl macrumors member

I do have to say though that if you have Apple's leather case on, the magnet will discolor the leather. I have a midnight blue leather case and I have a non-adhesive magnet inside the case. The car mount (mounted to my CD player) works like a charm, but the case is noticeably lighter where the magnet is. I'm thinking of switching to silicone when it gets to the point that the discoloration really bothers me.

10. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

11. Rocko9999 macrumors regular

Rocko9999

12. tonileung macrumors newbie

Sounds like most people recommend a magnetic car mount. I am going to get one too.

What case do you use when putting the plate inside? I searched that some Spigen cases reserve a space for the plate. But if I use other case and put the plate inside, would it hurt the back of the phone?

13. BigCLC macrumors member

BigCLC

14. WarcraftWidow, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015

WarcraftWidow macrumors member

The iOttie works well for me. Easily adjustable to hold any size phone.

15. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

16. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

Nooooooo!
    Please don't tell me that!
    I love my car magnet!!!
    Can it really damage?
    Or only interfere?

17. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

The magnet does nothing to your phone at all. I've been using the same CD mount that you mentioned earlier, and there's been no harmful effects. you're fine lol people are just paranoid since earlier phones might have been effected.

18. Dacraft1 macrumors newbie

Does anybody use the clip that goes on then vent? What if your running the heat does it overheat the phone or cause any problems ? Thank in advance

19. tops2 macrumors regular

I use the Kenu Airframe Plus vent mount and it's flawless for me. I usually either have no air on or use air conditioning from the same vent. If I want heater, I'll switch to defeat gofer or blowing to the feet.

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

A securely bolted cradle. No matter how strong your magnet (same goes for suction cups) is you'll end up with expensive flying debris in an accident.

21. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

D finitely sure this also might happen to a cradle. Depends on the accident.

22. kcellup thread starter macrumors regular

kcellup

I ended up with a magnetic tech matte cd mount and so far I am very happy with it

23. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

Yea this is just great, right?