Car mounts?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by DaGrandMastah, Sep 24, 2012.

1. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good car mount for my iPhone 5? The turn by turn directions were phenomenal and exponentially better than what my old Garmin gives us. Problem is I don't have a mount for it.

Anyone have any recommendations as to which one to use? What type to go with?

2. scgf macrumors member

Yes. I bought the Oso Universal Car Spacemount when I had an iPhone 4S, knowing I would be getting the 5 when it launched. This mount takes almost any phone, and the sucker will even attach to a dashboard which is not completely smooth.

The joint is a little loose, but I haven't found it a problem. Bought mine from Amazon in the UK - link here

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Proclip is the only mount I used (out of 3 tried) that actually did what it should have; stayed in place. Check them out.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

5. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Do you still use a Pro clip? I'm tempted to get one, though my car does have a recessed place where the phone stays even in "spirited" driving. :)

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not any longer, I had one for my ford ranger but my truck now is set up so my ipod is in the glove box. I don't use my iPhone for anything really in the car unless I want some new music to listen to. I have a nav built in.

7. dabigone macrumors regular

8. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna go with proclip once tehy release the iphone 5 models.

Do you know if they're all hard plastic on the grips or do they have different softer textures that won't scratch teh sides of the device? That's my only real concern.

NM answered my own question. I did a search of tehir iphone 4 versions and noticed that they offer padded mounts.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Actually, they look like there is no padding but I bought one that accommodated a case. It looks like they have that now for the iP5. I would add padding anyway. Thin foam is cheap and easy to find.

10. DaveWonders macrumors regular

I bought one for the iPhone 4 with bumper about 2 years ago. The part the phone slides into has some sort of felt covering. It's very hard, but the felt doesn't mar the finish of the bumper at all. It's held up after 2 years of being placed in and out at least 10 times a week.

That being said, I'm not sure what the mount for the 5 looks like.

11. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

12. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

13. alanrocks macrumors regular

alanrocks

I have used the breffo spiderpodium for a year or so now and it is by far the best car mount I have used. It's really flexible, works with my iPhone 5S and my Garmin GPS unit!

[​IMG]

14. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

I bet it works, but it just looks ugly, like some big inbred spider.

15. alanrocks macrumors regular

alanrocks

LOL! Yes, don't you like big inbred spiders? :D To be honest I don't really care what it looks like as you can't see it when it's holding your phone secure!

16. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

You have a point, sir! As long as it works, that should be all that matters.