Car navigation apps

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by finn4321, Apr 4, 2011.

1. finn4321 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I did some searches in the forum for recommendations on which car navigation program people like the best but I didn't find too much current information on this.

Considering that you have to pay around $40 to get one that stores the maps on the device I believe it is worth doing some research first. It is also annoying that there are no trial versions of the applications. For some of them you have to pay extra as well for traffic updates etc.

The big players seem to be Navigon and Copilot, the Copilot UI looks better to me but it got a worse score in the appstore than Navigon. Garmin recently came out with a new application as well. Tomtom seem to lack an Ipad version so that one is out of the question.

I find a lot of positive information about MotionX but I dont want to be dependent on a data connection.

Any suggestions are welcome :) Thanks in advance!

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

I have Navigon, which I use primarily for iPhone. I've used it once on my iPad WiFi when I had iPhone 4 hotspot turned on one month (hotspot supplies GPS coordinates to iPad).

First of all, Navigon, as well as other navigation apps, goes on sale several times a year. For instance, this page has a price history for the USA version of Navigon.

As far as recommendation, I haven't tried many (only the freebies, Tom Tom for iPhone and Garmin for iPhone), but based on what I have tried, my summary is that no navigation app is close to ideal.

For instance, I am not happy with Navigon's UI, although I am used to its foibles to find my way around it. Both the POI database and quality of routing are good, however, which are the most important things for me. It does have some performance/stability issue, which bugs me, but I picked it up when it was on sale for $24.99 (plus $14.99 for lifetime traffic) so I am a bit more forgiving.