Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Give Lexus a butter biscuit for introducing this....some bastards can't drive at all yet alone park.

Exactly, and if it makes the roads a bit more safe, then I say this is an OK invention.

And if you're so keen on complaining about lazy drivers and such, stop using calculators and spell-checkers. There's nothing worse than a lazy brain.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Thanks to this, some people will parallel park once (drivers test) and never do it again.

Heck, I don't need no fancy-schmancy electro-gizmos to do the "parallel park once for driver's test and never again" thing! Just no need for it around here....

--Eric

Applejuice

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
You say this like it's a bad thing. Maybe you're a fan of typewriters (or quills, or sticks and clay) and the like, but I think automation is a good thing. Just MHO, though.

apples and oranges.... ;)

it is a sad thing when people don't know how to park their car and lose any sense of direction from relying on their gps.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006

it is a sad thing when people don't know how to park their car and lose any sense of direction from relying on their gps.
It's not like the good ol' days when cars had rubber bumpers, is it? You could hit other cars when parallel parking and not do any damage! :p

mattniles007

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
Michigan
Exactly, and if it makes the roads a bit more safe, then I say this is an OK invention.

And if you're so keen on complaining about lazy drivers and such, stop using calculators and spell-checkers. There's nothing worse than a lazy brain.

If it makes the road more safe yes. But I think it will make more unsafe lazy drivers. More time to talk on the cell, or eat or whatever people do.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Hey, prior to the GPS, there were a lot of people who didn't have any sense of direction. Some people don't even know right from left. However, if you don't know how to drive or even operate your car, you should let it park itself and walk away until a designated driver can be located.

tveric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003

Here's your chair, your porch, and your lawn.

Now follow these steps:

#1 Put chair on porch.
#2 Sit in chair.
#3 Yell, "Hey you kids! Get offa my lawn!!"

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Anyone know why they replaced those rubber bumpers?

No idea, but the bumper on my parents' 1992 Volvo 940 (great car, btw) was rubber. I think there was a time they went from rubber in the old days, to metallic, and then because of some weird legislation that passed in Ontario (or maybe all of Canada......not sure), all cars needed a rubber bumper for awhile.

I think they should get the rubber bumpers again. If you bumped into something lightly, or someone bumped into you lightly, it wouldn't completely ruin the bumper. Nowadays, with the metal bumpers, they're so incredibly fragile, and yet so expensive to replace (what....like US $1500+ depending on brand?)

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
Thanks to GPS, people don't know basic directions. Thanks to this, some people will parallel park once (drivers test) and never do it again. Pretty soon cars will drive by itself and refuel/recharge itself. The joy of driving is dying.
We might as well all take mass transit.... which I am all for if So. Cals mass transit system didn't suck so bad.

I just got my drivers license in the wonderful state of florida. Oddly enough I was never made to parallel park or park at all for that matter. Appearently the modern driving test consists of one lane change, two stop signs and a pat on the back.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I just got my drivers license in the wonderful state of florida. Oddly enough I was never made to parallel park or park at all for that matter. Appearently the modern driving test consists of one lane change, two stop signs and a pat on the back.

That's Floriduh. I didn't even have to take a skills or written test when I moved here. It's just a good thing you didn't have to take a test up north. Pennsylvania has test courses and is quite quick to fail a person.

Oh, by the way, please let the t.v. news know when you'll be out on the road. :p

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Nowadays, with the metal bumpers, they're so incredibly fragile, and yet so expensive to replace (what....like US $1500+ depending on brand?)
Bumpers are usually plastic with a metal beam a few inches underneath. The bumper is supposed to protect from more expensive damage to the trunk/tailgate in low speed (under 15mph) collisions (say, with a pole in a parking lot.) The beam comes into play with higher forces.

ColdFlame87

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2004
Woodland Hills, CA
No idea, but the bumper on my parents' 1992 Volvo 940 (great car, btw) was rubber. I think there was a time they went from rubber in the old days, to metallic, and then because of some weird legislation that passed in Ontario (or maybe all of Canada......not sure), all cars needed a rubber bumper for awhile.

I think they should get the rubber bumpers again. If you bumped into something lightly, or someone bumped into you lightly, it wouldn't completely ruin the bumper. Nowadays, with the metal bumpers, they're so incredibly fragile, and yet so expensive to replace (what....like US $1500+ depending on brand?)

Ive always wondered why they would replace something that was working well, and was easy to replace. Nowadays bumpers totally fall apart even in small crashes. I had a small accident in my car and the whole bumper was thrashed. It cost me around 500 bucks to replace the bumper. You wouldnt get that with those sturdy rubber bumpers;)

ColdFlame87

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2004
Woodland Hills, CA
Improves the cashflow.

Haha that could be the reason but back to topic a rubber bumper would make parallel parking a lot easier. I mean you wouldnt have to worry about damaging much if you were to bump slightly against another parked car, but i guess technology would have to do that for us now...

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka

Words cannot describe how shocked I am.

That's inexcusable that any authority can still get away with that and not come under fire for putting their entire population at risk.

I mean some bad drivers manage to get through the net here in the UK (despite a theory test with 35 questions where you can only get 5 wrong before you fail, and a not-really-that-easy-driving-test), but that's just taking the piss.

How anyone could defend that too, is completely beyond me. Putting someone behind the wheel of a car without being very careful to make sure they know exactly what they're doing with produces things like this.

I know that's an old guy, but the number of news stories I read, and the amount of friends in the US I hear from, telling me about all these accidents, doesn't inspire confidence about ever driving over there again. Or, for that matter, going anywhere a car can possibly reach me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.