Car Phone Integration?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dynamod, Nov 9, 2010.

1. dynamod macrumors newbie

Hi

I've recently bought an iPhone 4, and am trying to now integrate it with my car. I realise that there are a whole host of solutions available, however regrettably, I cannot stand to have wires trailing through my car...

As such I have been looking into two solutions where all the wiring can be hidden, firstly I plan to purchase a mounting system specifically for my car: http://www.dashmount.co.uk/Kuda-Phonebase/Leather-Consoles/Volvo/Volvo-V40/S40-s.-96-02/04-new-Vision.html

Using this I will be able to mount the phone nicely, using either a THB Bury kit, of which I already have the base unit, but not the cradle, or alternatively using the TomTom in car installation mount, and then hiding the cables.

However neither of these units do exactly what I want them to do. My radio is a Becker Navigation unit, with separate auxiliary and phone inputs with phone mute input as well. As such I want to be able to separate the audio streams accordingly so that the phone calls interrupt whatever the radio is playing, either aux input or radio.

I have no issues with doing a spot of modification to either of the units, as I have the necessary time, but I have a few questions about the devices which I hope someone already with the device may be able to answer.

With the TomTom unit, I would plug in a 3.5mm jack and run this to the rear of the radio, with this plugged in I could play my music through the radio, however I have not been able to find out what would happen with the phone audio, does anyone know if this still comes out of the speaker built in to the unit? If so I can modify the unit to take the speaker feed. Also, whilst I don't know if I would use it as my radio has navigation built in, I would like to know where the navigation audio comes out, via the 3.5mm jack, or the inbuilt speaker.

Secondly with the THB Bury cradle, there is no 3.5mm jack to remove audio, but the phone audio is automatically routed to the control box and from there to my radio, I wonder if it would however be possible to modify the inside of the cradle to pull audio for music straight from the dock connector?

(I also realise the modifying the units will void any warranty etc.)

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether either of these is possible?

2. Sean006 macrumors 6502

I actually just had the Isimple solution installed in my gmc sierra...non navi non bluetooth only xm

went to a local high end stereo shop and they install the ismiple ipod gateway with bluetooth intergration...installed was 400.00 for both.

they had a cradle for my ip4 which they mounted at an angle to the dash with double sided 3m tape....wire comes out right below the cradle from one of the cutouts in my dash..

they did an awesome job on the install and the customized cradle..

now i have full ipod control and bluetooth for phone calls also charges the ip4.

:)