Car problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redrog, Jan 25, 2009.

1. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

So here's my problem. My wife just bought a car with a built in ipod connector. My iPhone slots into it nicely and can play the ipod stuff through the stereo ok. However it only seems to want to play from the ipod and nothing else. So any internet radio apps that are playing as I plug it in, close and the ipod opens, and as the slot the the phone goes in is recessed, I can't manually change it back to the app.

Anyone know a way around this? I was thinking maybe just get an extension cable to fit in the dock so that I can reach the screen, however I can't seem to find a 30 pin to 30 pin extender, so I'm not sure if they exist.

2. Limb macrumors member

Though I would wait on what everyone else has to say, if you choose to go the extender cable route, you can purchase one from here: SparkFun.

-Limb

3. redrog thread starter macrumors 6502

redrog

Thanks at least I now know they exist, but the shipping costs to the UK are prohibitive (setting aside the high price of the cable itself)

4. krackers macrumors member

the cable is the only way.
    See if they have it.

5. ercanbas macrumors regular

If the car is under Applecare why don't you get it exchanged, perhaps a coupe this time around.

6. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Get rid of the car, if it's not compatible with your iPhone its a piece of feces. Get the new Lexus, it'l work with your iPhone.

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

My new Lexus RX-350 (09) doesn't work with my iPhone or any iPod...

8. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

My bad, the Infinity G37 will work as will BMW's. For some reason I always mix up Infinity and Lexus.

9. gotzaiPhone macrumors member

Is there an option on the car stereo to switch the iPod to "iPod mod"? On my JVC head unit, it has a 30 pin iPod connector, but it also has a button that I can toggle between "Head mode". that I control the iPod through the stereo and cannot get out of the iPod mode and then "iPod mod" which then allows me to stop the iPod and use internet radio apps.

10. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

No iPod kit? Cars exist without the iPod kit?? :rolleyes:

11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Let me guess, was this an Audi?

The workaround is to delete all your iPod songs, and then you can play other apps through the stereo.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

On my Pioneer head unit all it does the same thing. When I connect the dock it automatically puts it in iPod Accessory mode (Picture of an iPod on the screen).

However, all I have to do is pause iPod, hit the home button and I can get to any app. As long as it outputs audio it'll come through my speakers. Listening to Pandora while cleaning out my car is a fantastic thing since I get wifi in my garage.

It's pretty lame that you can't hit the home button once it's docked. I check my email on the way home from work at the stop lights.

Does anyone make a female to male dock connector? That would be a solution.

13. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

iPod compatible does not mean iPhone compatible

sorry but your SOL

14. rednano74 macrumors member

Do you have to use your docking connector via your car?

Most cars also have an aux input. Would that be an option? Not sure if it would work but at least you could have access to your iPhone buttons.

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I wonder why Apple treats us iPhone users as "second class iPods" despite being "the best iPod ever made"

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Apple doesn't, it's the 3rd party makers that do.

17. redrog thread starter macrumors 6502

redrog

Thanks for all the helpful feedback suggesting I change the car :rolleyes:

Unfortunately there is no aux port on the car and there only appears to be one mode on the radio. In fact I've also discovered that it doesn't charge the phone either - must be on the firewire pin. The cable solution is just too darn expensive thus far, so all in all I'm screwed. I'll have to stick to driving my car :eek:

Will become more of an issue when my wife inherits my phone when I buy the new one :D

Maybe i'll get a proper installation done then.