Car PS for MacBook/Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cave Man, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

A quick search of the forums didn't reveal a solution, so....

Has anyone made a car adapter power supply for the MacBook and MacBook Pro yet? I saw a few references to inverters; anyone here with experience using one?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

the thing draws less than 100 watts go to walmart or somewhere like that and buy a 300 watt inverter

3. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

For whatever reason Apple does not make a DC adapter for the MacBook/MacBookPro other than the Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter which I've been told is not compatible with a standard cigarette lighter outlet.

Also, Apple has not yet licensed the "MagSafe" connector to anyone, so there are currently no third parties providing DC adapter solutions for the MacBook/MacBook Pro.

If you find anything let me know. I'm looking as well.

4. EricM macrumors newbie

I have the Kensington inverter the Apple store sells, and it works fine. It annoys me that I have to use it though, and I find it baffling that Apple makes an airplane adapter but no car adapter.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

they expect that you would use it more sitting in an airplane than while in your car

6. fearxtragedy macrumors member

haha. that makes perfect sense.

and why would you leave it charging in the car unattended?

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Insurance money?

8. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Hmm, how many volts are the sockets in planes then? Also, what are the laptops expecting?

If the airline sockets are 12v then it's a super easy cut and shut, just swap the connector over, but i have a feeling they may well be 24v, which would make it a little more complicated, but still very doable...

Anyway, i have a powerbook with a perfectly good 12v powersupply, so i won't be making one for a magsafe jobbie any time soon ;)

9. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

Road trip + children = MacBook Pro + DVD Movie

10. EricM macrumors newbie

Oh, silly me for not realizing Apple knows my needs better than I do.

11. tarja333 macrumors newbie

power to the book

does not seem that this question has been answered?:(
    need power for road trips for dvd's on yhe mac book what is it to be? 12v adaptor or 240v inverter? no ones seems to know? :eek:

GT

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They sell 12V ADC to 120V inverters. They are pretty cheap, but they are either big or small with a loud fan.

13. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

That's pretty cool. Way expensive though. I think I'd go with something like this before spending over 200 dollars. Sure it might not be as pretty, but it seems like this would get the job done.

14. ebika macrumors 6502

When researching this a while back, I read that the Apple airline power adapter works in some cars that have ~14V in the power sockets. I can't confirm this, but I need to remember to bring my multimeter to my car and to a flight sometime.