::::Car question::::

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BrettFarve04, Dec 28, 2008.

1. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I have a 04 Civic Ex Coupe...and whenever my car is idling i hear a constant rattle. Whenever i tap on the gas the sound goes away. Anybody have any ideas??

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Yup!
    Call car talk. I'll be listening for ya! :p

3. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Maybe a cylinder misfire, do a diagnostics check.

4. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Exhaust. Some piece of metal is probably rattling. Happened on my 99 Subaru, at 2500 RPM every single time. But you also didn't provide a lot of info, cuz it could be almost anything. Have someone, or yourself, stand outside and try to pin point where along the car it is. Mine was right under the driver/passenger space.

5. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

6. Frisco macrumors 68020

I also think it's something to do with your exhaust.

I have had a rattle now for a year on my 92 Accord. It's the heat shield, which rattles when cold, when the car warms up the rattle goes away. It's not a big deal I can live with it or remove the heat shield.

7. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Likely a small crack in the exhaust manifold, especially if it is like a ticking noise that changes in relation to RPMs.

8. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Almost certainly your exhaust (although, there are some very rare problems that it could also be). It could be something as simple as a loose bracket or joint, to something slightly more serious like needing a new catalytic converter or a crack in the manifold or downpipe. You'll have to take it into a place. If it's something minor then it'll be pretty cheep. Even if it's one of the more major things then it will still be relatively affordable.

Need to check it out, though.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Exactly right. I had the same thing on my 99 Civic - took literally 30 seconds to tighten down the heat shield, hasn't bothered me since.

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Like others have said, it's probably in your exhaust somewhere. It could be your catalytic converter. I had a small piece of metal break off and rattle around in there. I let it go for awhile, but eventually the cat failed completely and I had it replaced.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've had the same thing happen before; if it is a metallic rattle that goes away when the engine is revved, it's probably an exhaust hangar or heat shield that has broken / rusted loose.

As others have suggested, start the car in your driveway, let it idle and crawl around to see where the noise is coming from. Having an exhaust hanger replaced is cheap. Heat shields less so, but still relatively inexpensive.

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's rod knock! That's what you get when you buy a Honda ;)

KIDDINGGG GUYS

13. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

its most likely a heat shield. just have a friend pop it in neutral and rev it a little, then try to pin point the noise

14. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

x2.

Heat shield was my first guess....

15. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I say exhaust related most likely a heat shield probably on the catalytic converter. Usually their just barely welded on and can come undone.

You may also want to check to see if there is a large plastic or metal plate on the bottom of the car to keep dirt out of the engine. The hardware can come undone and make the plate rattle.

16. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Also check your exhaust hangers.

I know some hondas do not use a flex pipe where the exhaust meets the header, instead use a spring like system (where it bolts onto the header) you may want to check there as well.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Plus one on this. Your exhaust is most likely loose. It's not serious.

18. leishan macrumors 6502

It sounds like loose heat shield. Not too hard of a fix.

19. ToddW macrumors 6502a

heat shield or exhaust is the likely culprit. find where the noise is coming from and if you don't want to fix it yourself, next time you go to get an oil change slip the guy a 5 to tight that up while he is under there.

20. S Brake macrumors regular

The heat shield used to rattle on my old Toyota truck, then it just came off one day while driving and the rattling went away. The mechanic said not to worry about it though.

21. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If you hear it, most likely heatshield.

If you feel it, could be clogged/clogging Idle Air Control Valve.