Car radio installation

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by determined09, Jun 22, 2013.

1. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

Hello everyone,

The radio in my 2000 Toyota Camry is not working. It's factory radio. It's not a JBL radio. The display comes on and it changes radio stations but no sound. I don't see any lose wires in my truck. The guy at the audio store said the radio has went bad.After, I left the audio store the radio came back on and then it quickly went back off.

Is what the guy at the audio shop, is it true?

Can anyone recommend a good place to have this radio replaced?

Thank you,

2. chown33 macrumors 604

I'd start by googling the most obvious search terms, such as:
    replace car radio LOCATION
    car audio LOCATION

Where LOCATION is the actual name of your city, town, etc. or the nearest such if you live in a rural area.

One reason I'd do this, as opposed to simply searching Amazon.com for car radios, is because I don't really want to replace the radio myself. If you're more the DIY type then searching for a radio that fits your make, model, and year of car would be a reasonable starting point.

If the above seems vague, it's because you haven't given any details about yourself, your location, your skills, your budget, etc.

3. determined09, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013

determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

I'm not the DIY type. I'm in houston tx. The most that I wish to spend is 179.99. This car is 12 yrs old. I'm also wondering if this an electrical problem. Are there any car radio brands that are better than Pioneer? Thank you,

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

5. chown33 macrumors 604

It could be a purely electrical problem, with the electronics in the radio, or in the electrical connectors or cables.

It could also be a mechanical problem with the electrical connections, such as one or more spring-loaded contacts have lost their spring and are now intermittent, or perhaps some plastic part in a connector has broken, and is indirectly causing an intermittent electrical connection.

There is no single symptom that absolutely clinches any one cause.

Either way, you'd have to take it to someone who can do car-audio work. The labor cost of taking things apart and diagnosing the problem may approach that of complete replacement.

6. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

$179.99? Why not $180? You're coming to a tech forum and you're not hte DIY type? There's no reason to believe what the guy at the "audio shop" says is false. Perhaps you'd be better served by calling your local Best Buy. Here, I googled a Houston Best Buy phone number for you since you're too lazy to do it yourself.

713-552-1512

7. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

Okay $180.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No. Pioneer's generally considered to be one of the best on the market.

http://www.crutchfield.com

Do it yourself and save money. Crutchfield will send you instructions and wiring harnesses you need to install it.

9. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

They will also provide the adapter to make the new head unit fit your dash. If it were me, I would DIY before entrusting the hacks at BB. Potentially screwed up is still better than expensive and screwed up.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Let's see:

No. Not an electrical problem.

Take it to Car Toys.

11. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

12. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

Went there today. The man at the store in el dorado rd was so rude. I just left the store ASAP.
    In addition for some reason the radio came back on. Hmmm....but the cd isn't working.

13. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

I replaced the two front speakers and the radio with Pioneer