Car Receiver Deck

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by JimmyDThing, Oct 7, 2008.

1. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

I'm sorry if this info is out there already or if this isn't the right topic to post this in, but I've been looking and I can't get a good feel for what I'm looking for.

I have the iPod Touch 2G and every time I'm in my car, I feel irritated that I can't listen to my iPod. I don't like the idea of an FM Transmitter because I've never had a good experience with one plus good ones are half as much as a decent deck.

My current deck is just the manufacturer one.... it doesn't play MP3 CD's, it has no auxiliary, and I just want a new deck anyway, so it makes more sense for me to spend the extra money on one.

But I want to make sure that it will interface with my iPod Touch properly and I've read about the changed pins or whatever for the USB cable. I want to make sure that it will actually work before I buy one, but its hard to tell.

Also... any other advice in what to look for (brands, bluetooth, etc) for the deck would be greatly appreciated. If I decide to spend more than expected, a video deck wouldn't be a horrible idea as I keep a decent amount of video on my Touch.

Thanks for any and all help and, again, sorry if I'm asking a question already answered or if this isn't the place to post this.

2. rshanahan macrumors regular

If you are going to replace your stock radio, I'd recommend Alpine. I have used three generations of Alpine/Ipod integrated head units. The 1st was using the old bulky interface box. The last two were using the better integrated method incorporating only a cable (badged 'high speed').

As far as the Touch 2G, in my truck I have the 1st type (oldest) of the Alpine head units and it controls my touch just fine (although it will NOT charge it, as like every other Ipod peripheral manufactured over a year ago (the touch does not have firewire and most peripherals use that voltage to charge)).

My new car's stock radio is not replaceable as the navigation is built in. For that I am using a D.I.C.E interface working through the XM interface. It works, but for only basic functions and works the same on my Ipod Photo as it does on my Touch (and it also does not charge the touch).