Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
So I'm currently living in California (moved here for school), and my step-dad let me have his second car as my transportation until I can get on my feet. His name is on the Title, but mine is as well because this car was originally going to be given to me.

I recently got pulled over in California driving this car, and the officer said I had to register my car here in California. I'm unsure what I am supposed to do because my step-dad still resides in another state where we bought the car and he still had true ownership of the car.

Any advice?

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
it doesn't matter where the owner of the car is, what matters is where the car is.....so register it before you start getting tickets for not having it registered

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
So I'm currently living in California (moved here for school), and my step-dad let me have his second car as my transportation until I can get on my feet. His name is on the Title, but mine is as well because this car was originally going to be given to me.

I recently got pulled over in California driving this car, and the officer said I had to register my car here in California. I'm unsure what I am supposed to do because my step-dad still resides in another state where we bought the car and he still had true ownership of the car.

Any advice?

In Kansas you have 90 days to register, so if you're keeping the car less than that you'll be fine (that is, if CA is the same, check with the DMV).

djjclark

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
from CA DMV:

• A nonresident student aged 23 or younger operating a nonresident vehicle that
displays valid registration/plates in the student’s home state is exempt from
California registration.
• The nonresident student may possess a California driver license or operate on
a valid driver license from his/her state.
— If the nonresident student applies for California registration, all
requirements for California registration are applicable.
• Nonresident students 24 years of age and older are not exempt from
California registration requirements, and any vehicle operated by the student
must be registered in California.
— All California emission and registration requirements must be satisfied.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
from CA DMV:

• A nonresident student aged 23 or younger operating a nonresident vehicle that
displays valid registration/plates in the student’s home state is exempt from
California registration.
• The nonresident student may possess a California driver license or operate on
a valid driver license from his/her state.
— If the nonresident student applies for California registration, all
requirements for California registration are applicable.
• Nonresident students 24 years of age and older are not exempt from
California registration requirements, and any vehicle operated by the student
must be registered in California.
— All California emission and registration requirements must be satisfied.

That's interesting. Wonder how they regulate that because I should only have the car till the end of June. Seems weird that I'd have to register it to drive it in California when I don't own it.

mariahrg

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2004
Paso Robles Ca
That's interesting. Wonder how they regulate that because I should only have the car till the end of June. Seems weird that I'd have to register it to drive it in California when I don't own it.

I think it all boils down to your age.... If you're under the age listed tell the cop to go pound Salt. Where i'm from in Cali, the cops are bored and have nothing better to do with their time...this would be typical and ridiculous concern they would harass you over. It's silly!

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
it doesn't matter where the owner of the car is, what matters is where the car is.....so register it before you start getting tickets for not having it registered

not quite

students have exceptions when in a different state going to school, as do vacationers. it is where the owner resides where the car must be registered from my expereince

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
not quite

students have exceptions when in a different state going to school, as do vacationers. it is where the owner resides where the car must be registered from my expereince

I was going by the OP's statement that he was living here.....but as you say, students and tourists wouldn't be residents.....maybe the OP has a california driver's license which could be why the cop said he needed to get the car registered?

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I was going by the OP's statement that he was living here.....but as you say, students and tourists wouldn't be residents.....maybe the OP has a california driver's license which could be why the cop said he needed to get the car registered?

I do have a CA license. I just have to bite the built and get this done. I'm only dreading it because my car is gonna take a grand to get past the smog check, plus the 200-250 to register. Sigh...

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
My daughter was a student at UCSD for 4 years, had a California driver's license. My name and hers were both on the title, she never registered it in California. She got the same speech as you after getting stopped for speeding once. We elected to ignore it. Never had a problem.

It seems pretty clear cut to me. As a student you don't have to register that car in California if you're under the age of 23.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
My daughter was a student at UCSD for 4 years, had a California driver's license. My name and hers were both on the title, she never registered it in California. She got the same speech as you after getting stopped for speeding once. We elected to ignore it. Never had a problem.

It seems pretty clear cut to me. As a student you don't have to register that car in California if you're under the age of 23.

Sadly I'm 24 in about a month. Ha.

Maybe it's time I just find a good paying job and by myself a Lotus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.