Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Are insane. They have gone up over 180% (paying 2.8x what i used to) for me to register my vehicle in CO compared to what I last did in 2008. This is excluding plate and title fees, purely registration

I love how in a bad economy, it is the peons (us) that feel the shaft even more

How have your states been?

Just a preview of the effects of the deficit burden the administration has put on the country

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
We just bought a new vehicle in California and the registration fees weren't too bad, actually.

That said, cue PRSI in 3... 2... 1...

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I think I pay about $59 a year for the registration, but another $30 a year for a custom plate.

As far as the current administration - as far as I'm able to tell registration is by state, the federal government doesn't collect those fees.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I think I pay about $59 a year for the registration, but another $30 a year for a custom plate.

As far as the current administration - as far as I'm able to tell registration is by state, the federal government doesn't collect those fees.

Am I wrong to assume that the effects of federal funding indirectly tie into state funding and state revenue sources?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Am I wrong to assume that the effects of federal funding indirectly tie into state funding and state revenue sources?

Maybe, maybe not - but what states charge for registration probably doesn't go into the same kitty as the federal money states receive for infrastructure support.

In any event, I think our registration fees have gone up $3-4 over the past ten years or so. I would chalk that up to inflation more than I would the state of the economy.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL

Yes, but California has its own budgetary woes, and a boatload of propositions they are obligated to fund. Not every state is in the budgetary crapper California is in.

Don't know about CO funding issues.

In Florida, with no income tax, we rely on tourism, sales, and property taxes as a significant source of revenue. As the housing market is bust here, and tourism was off in 2009, we swing from surpluses to deficits frequently. Fees go up (taxes without being called taxes).

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I pay $25 a year to renew my plates, but MO has personal property tax, so at the end of the year, they stick you with a hefty bill. It depends on the value of your car, mine was around $450 last year (it's a new car, it'll go down with age)

Do those of you in other states with higher registration fees pay PPT each year? Likewise, do you guys with low registration fees pay PPT?

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
I pay $25 a year to renew my plates, but MO has personal property tax, so at the end of the year, they stick you with a hefty bill. It depends on the value of your car, mine was around $450 last year (it's a new car, it'll go down with age)

Do those of you in other states with higher registration fees pay PPT each year? Likewise, do you guys with low registration fees pay PPT?

If you mean the ad valorem tax, we have to pay that here when we renew our plates every year. I paid $160 last year, and that includes $50 for the special UA plate. Roughly $70 of that was the actual tax, registration fees were the balance.

djjclark

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
In CA the renewal fee is broken up in to a few categories:

registration fee = $34
CHP fee = $22
VLF = 2% of purchase value depreciated by 10% per year of car age with minimum = 15% after 11 years
weight fee = ?
county fee = $10 in mine
owner responsibility fee = ?
specialty plate = $15 - $90

so new $30k car will cost you $666 in first year min and second year cost of $606

The funny part here in CA is that Arnold pretty much got elected on reducing this which he did for most of his terms yet they just raised it back to where it was.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Phoenix, AZ has everyone beat...its based on the cost of your car. New arrivals to town, say from FL where it costs me $40 to register PERIOD...

2) How much does it cost to title and register my vehicle?
It varies depending on the vehicle. There is a $4.00 title fee; an $8.00 registration fee; plus an air quality research fee of $1.50; and a vehicle license tax (VLT) assessed in place of a personal property tax charged by other states. There may also be a weight fee and commercial registration fee, if the vehicle is registered as commercial. The VLT is based on an assessed value of 60% of the manufacturer's base retail price reduced by 16.25% for each year since the vehicle was first registered in Arizona (15% before 8/1/98). Then, as of the Dec 1, 2000 reduction, the rate is calculated as $2.80 (new vehicles)/$2.89 (used vehicles) for each $100 of the assessed value. For example, for a new vehicle that costs $25,000, the first year assessed value would be $15,000 and the VLT would be $420.00. The second year the assessed value would be $12,562.50 and the VLT would be $363.06.

theITGuy

macrumors 6502a
I was lucky I did a 2 year renewal of my plates because my state just doubled all licensing/registration fees...

I really don't mind as long as the service is good but that's always a crapshoot with these gov't offices...

-J.-

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
Phoenix, AZ has everyone beat...its based on the cost of your car. New arrivals to town, say from FL where it costs me $40 to register PERIOD...

Louisiana is also bases the registration on the value of the vehicle, and they charge you for 2 years at a time. FL just doubled (and more) the annual license fees .. the standard tag went from $38.50 to $83.00.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.