Car Remote Starters

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Squilly, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I got a remote starter from a friend. I'm debating if I want to install it in my car. My friend who's a mechanic says that after a couple of years, the remote starter starts to mess with the electronics in the car if its aftermarket. I don't see why they'd sell them if that were the case. Even so, if I installed an aftermarket radio as well, would there still be issues? First hand experience? As always, thanks in advance.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The thing that usually has problems with it is the security key ignition system. I forget exactly what the acronym is, something like PATS. Basically, there has to be an extra activated key near the steering column for them to work, if your vehicle has one of these security systems. Most made within the past 7+ years do have it. You could probably use it without problem, at the loss of one of your keys and making the vehicle easier to steal.

3. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Yeah, I know it has a security system installed (I set it off accidentally before :p). I'm pretty sure it comes with the kit....

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Does the vehicle keys have a security RFID chip in them? What comes with what kit?

5. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

I'm not really sure. Haven't opened it yet to check (other than the key fobs). It's a Viper.