Car Sat-Nav That Works With Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr Skills, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Sorry, I know this type of question gets asked quite often, but there rarely seems to be a satisfactory answer... I'm hoping something might have changed.

Are there any Sat Navs for cars which work with Macs (I just mean the basic software for updating maps etc.)?

As far as I can tell Garmin has some beta software, but it seems to involve downloading the maps on a PC and using a conversion program - which rather defeats the object (if I understand correctly - their documentation is terrible).

2. Aggamemnon macrumors member

Aggamemnon

I've got a TomTom Go 910 and that works with my iMac.

3. benpatient macrumors 68000

TomTom's website says that they don't support updating maps with their map updating HOME software via a Mac "at this time."

4. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I am also interested in this.

As I understand it, the Tom Tom Home software is at version 2 for the PC, but only version 1 for the Mac. I've not been able to find any definitive answer yet as to what not having version 2 will prevent me from doing.

SL

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

6. Kar98 macrumors 6502a

TomTom Home 2 for Mac is in the works though.

[​IMG]

7. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

How do you know? Was that a screenshot of it? (I don't even know what TTH1 looks like).

8. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

I bought the TomTom One last Saturday as it happens and it works on my eMac.

Look...

Attached Files:

9. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I have a Garmin Nuvi 760 and have no problems updating my firmware and maps. I don't believe the software is beta anymore.

10. Kar98 macrumors 6502a

Because I have it, yes it is, (and see Poncho's post).

11. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Not convinced yet, sorry. Unless you've got hold of betas somehow? :confused:
    Also, when you try and download TomTom Home for their website, it give you v1 for the PC or v2 for the Mac.

SL

12. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

All you need is access to the GPS's filesystem to transfer POI's and other files like MP3's & such. Regardless of the make/model, an "interface" is pointless, really. Any decent unit will have the entire NA database preloaded, and all routing is managed on-the-fly.

All my routes are created as needed and saved in the unit directly. There is NO need for a PC connection whatsoever. I can save them & upload them on the Mac, but why, really? I haven't launched the desktop mapping app in nearly a year. Once again, the unit itself has EVERYTHING it needs.

I have a Zumo 550 (Garmin Car/Motorcycle GPS) and it gets connected to the Mac maybe twice year for software updates (Garmin WebUpdater, stupid simple), but that's it. Don't let some claim of "compatibility" or a cute interface lead you in the wrong direction, because you won't be using it connected to your Mac, but on the road.

13. Kar98 macrumors 6502a

I thought that's what I said?

[​IMG]

Or rather, vice versa.

14. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Maybe... that's what I'm trying to figure out. I've never use any kind of SatNav before, and the TomTom website is annoyingly vague.

I at least want to update it when I buy it with the latest maps (I believe TomTom only give you a limited time to do this for free), routing intelligence, firmware and particularly speed camera locations (only static camera locations are pre-loaded by default, AFAIK).

Thanks for the help.
    SL

15. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

You didn't mention 'beta'. But now I am sorry I doubted you. :)

Whoops, indeedy. Vice versa.

Cheers
    SL

16. Kar98 macrumors 6502a

Well, I guess I could have made it clearer than "TomTom Home 2 for Mac is in the works", couldn't I?

You don't /need/ TomTom Home per se, after you updated your maps to the newest version for free (within 30 days of first connecting your device to your computer and checking for new maps). But there's a number of advantages, like GPS quickfix (AGPS over IP ;) ), mapshare (up and download map corrections), and some minor hacks that require a computer.

17. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Just got a TomTom GO 520, and I think it is worth posting my experience so far.

Yes you do need a 'PC' connection, despite some of the comments in this thread. The unit mounts as USB mass storage and you can explore the filesystem with Finder, but downloading and installing the updates can only be done via the TomTom home desktop software.

Maybe it's not necessary very often once you get going (and arguably not 100% essential at all) it's required at the start to update with the latest software, maps, traffic cameras, postcode database, and to subscribe to premium services, some of which (eg, traffic alerts via mobile phone) look quite good.

Latest available TomTom Home software for the Mac is 1.6. Windows is on 2.1. Without 2.x, I can't purchase maps or make use of TomTom's 30 Day latest map guarantee. There's not much help on the TomTom website about what Mac users are supposed to do instead.

So I called TomTom support, expecting them to be pretty uselsess based on the hearsay I've recieved, but was actually very impressed. I was assured that v2 for Mac was in the works (as per Kar98) although they can't give a release date (but they hope it will be within the next month), and my 'latest map guarantee' has been extended pending the new version. I even got this confirmed by email. Cool! :)

Okay, so they're a bit behind on the Mac front but I can't fault them for effort!

SL

18. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I take it back. They're petty, Mac-unfriendly people. I got this email this morning.
    So they changed their bl**dy minds! Ha! :mad:

SL

EDIT: After a polite but strongly-worded email from me, they changed their minds back again.