Car Stereo for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by aroseallen, Jul 19, 2010.

1. aroseallen macrumors newbie

aroseallen

Does anyone know of a nice car stereo that they would recommend using with an iPhone 4?

I do not want to control the iPhone through the stereo because I'd rather be using the iphone controls and have the phone mounted somewhere in my car.

Some of the newer ones are called "ipod direct" which means you do use the stereo controls to listen to your music. Do others know of some nice, cool looking, good quality stereos where I can charge and connect my iPhone 4 and control music and apps right on my device?

thanks

2. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

You can get any head unit that supports line-in. But you could also get a system that supports bluetooth audio. That way you can control your iphone from both the head unit and the phone.

3. aroseallen thread starter macrumors newbie

aroseallen

Thanks. I'll look for something with bluetooth capabilities. Any suggestions? I had an Alpine in my previous car, but I think I might go with another name this time around.

4. pepe50 macrumors member

I got a JVC KDR600 this winter. It has USB input (charges and plays) and you can choose if you want to use the unit's controls or the ipod's. I got it through Crutchfield.com, use their vehicle compatibility search to find unit that fits your car. I can't recommend them enough. BTW my unit is discontinued through Crutchfield, but you can find it elsewhere.

5. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

The ONLY brand I ever use for car stereo HU's is Pioneer. Good built-in power, excellent features and good customer support. Any of their units that support iPod/iPhone will allow you to either control through the HU or directly on the iPhone. It will charge simultaneously as well. I have a AVH-P4200DVD and it rocks!

6. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Alpine's good (I have had 3 or 4 in a row), but the bluetooth unit is external so you have to buy it separate.

Check out kenwood, jvc etc. Crutchfield has a lot of info but you can find stuff cheaper on Amazon or even ebay.

7. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

Agree to go with Crutchfield. lt may be a little bit more $$ but they include all the adapters (antenna) and mounting kit with it along with instructions on how to take apart your dash. You can find coupons for Crutchfield online... just Google it.

8. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

9. pepe50 macrumors member

Yeah, I saved money overall (with the free adapters included) and the instructions made install easy.

10. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I saved money vs. Crutchfield by buying my stereo elsewhere and buying the wiring harness from them. Instructions can be found online.

11. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

Bite the bullet and get the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD like I have... it's worth the money. You can play DVD's and videos through your iPhone right on the HU. You'll need the right iPod/iPhone cable though that supports video out. The Pioneed one is like $30 but you can find some generic ones from Hong Kong on eBay for $10. They work just as good.

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_130AVHP420/Pioneer-AVH-P4200DVD.html?c=3&tp=5684&avf=N

12. aroseallen thread starter macrumors newbie

aroseallen

Thanks for your suggestions and recommendAtions. I'm going to do a little more research, but the pioneer seems really nice! There are a lot of great reviews on it out there as well.

13. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

I was looking at the Pioneer too, and from what others have said it seems to come out on top for a double DIN headunit.

Does anyone know where I can source one in the UK?

/Rookie