Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThereGoesJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
pioneer DEH-2200UB car radio
ipod 5th gen (not ipod classic)
ipod touch 1g

My new radio has ipod control built in using a usb connection, i realized while my girlfriends ipod touch was connected that there was an option to contol the music through the actual ipod, while using the usb connection. However my ipod 5th gen wont do it for some reason.

i checked my software and it says it is up to date, is this a known thing with the 5th gens?
i also noticed ipod classic software is a different version than what i have, is it possible to upgrade to that software since the 5th gen and classic are practically the same?

ThereGoesJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
right, and this one normally overrides the controls. but it has a built in option that i just discovered which allows you to use the ipod controls instead.
It works great, just not with my ipod 5th gen

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
There's an over-override, if you're jailbroken. Probably the only thing I really miss about not being jailbroken anymore...

ThereGoesJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
could someone point me in the right direction to jailbreak an 5th gen ipod to use it with my car stereo the im trying to. thanks

User Name jim

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
I was told by a car stereo shop that the pin configuration for the usb connector is different on certain ipods. so if you are not already you may want to try using a usb cable specifically designed for use with the 5th gen ipod. and you cannot install classic firmware on a 5th gen but there is a unofficial modified version of 5th or 5.5 gen firmware that will allow those ipods to have some of the same features as classics.

elywaldoya

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2010
Hi,
I have a stereo system in my car by pioneer. It has integrated tape, FM/AM, and 12 disc cd changer in the back. I would like to change the stereo without changing the 12 cd changer in the back. How would i be able to know which car stereo models are compatible with my 12 cd changer in the back? Is there anything else i should know about the matter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.