Car Stereo Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dthmtlgod, Oct 7, 2007.

1. dthmtlgod macrumors 6502

I just purchased and had a Sony In-Dash Player (CDXGT610UI) installed in my car. I purchased this for the iPod direct connect feature. I was going to use it for my 30 gb iPod, tried it out and works awesome, displays my playlist, album, artists etc. It even had a USB port for my Shuffle.

Well let me get to the point, I decided to plug in my iPhone, did not expect it to work, but I got a popup message saying this was a unsupported device and asked if I wanted to go to airplane mode. I did not answer, and it started playing music off my phone and the last song I played. Had my son call the phone and and behold the ringtone started going through my stereo, I thought that was cool.

My question is should I be concerned about using my iPhone with the stereo (it does charge the device when plugged in)??

2. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I've been using an iPhone with my Alpine head unit since 4 days after launch and it's fine.

3. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Because it's a USB connection and not a line audio out, I would be concerned because there's a data connection there that can potentially corrupt either device. Also, the iPhone is a distinctly different device from the current iPods (with exception to the iPod Touch) because it runs OS X and the iPods do not. It's a different architecture and should not be considered a fully compatible device even if it incidentally manages to work.

It's possible that you won't have any problems. However, if it's an unsupported device that's a HUGE warning to you that if anything does manage to happen, you're not covered by either Apple's or Sony's warranty.

My advice is, if you have an auxiliary audio input (1/8" stereo TRS miniplug) to the head unit, use it instead.

4. dthmtlgod thread starter macrumors 6502

It is not using the USB, it is using a separate iPod connection.
    It also has the aux audio input which I am not using.

5. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

No concerns man. I have been using mine with an Alpine since day 1. When a call comes in or its checking mail you may hear some static through your speakers. Other than that it works perfect.

6. dthmtlgod thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome dude, thanks for the assistance.

7. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

I misread your original post... but either way, you're saying it's still a data connection.

I would still use the audio aux input just to be safe. Data connections that are unsupported can risk damaging one or the other or both devices.

8. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

which alpine unit are you using? I've been looking out for a nice deck that i can plug my iPhone into for music.

9. jontucker macrumors 6502

I have and Audi Navigation Plus MMS system with bluetooth gsm an an iPod dock in the glovebox.

I have been using the iPhone with it since I got it in November and its been absolutly fine, better than fine in fact, its awesome.

I turn on bluetooth and put the iphone in the dock. I can then control both the iPod and phone functions from the headunit and controls on the steering wheel.

It isn't exactly the same as what you're asking but I thought I would chuck in my 2p worth anyway! :)