Car Stereo USB Ports... This might put some people at ease! :)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by McBeats, Sep 21, 2012.

1. McBeats macrumors 6502a

My main concern is my iPhone 5 will work in my Sony CD/Aux/iPod stereo unit. I had little doubt that it would still work, but wouldn't completely know til I got my i5.

Sure enough, through USB it still works great (with the new cable, of course). :D

Just thought I'd post this to give hopes to others who may not think the new cable will work in their car stereo iPod friendly USB ports.

2. chele519 macrumors regular

In my car I got a read error, I have a Hyundai Elantra which I saw in another post would not allow steering wheel controls to work but I thought it would still play. However, I found out later in the house and my phone only showed charging with the plug in the phone one way. I thought it was supposed to work both ways but it does not. I'm going to try the car again today.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

One data point never defines a trend. It really depends on the stereo. Not all are identical.

4. DavidFL macrumors member

Works correctly with the new cable on my Pioneer unit. I was really surprised.

5. emaja macrumors 68000

I have an Alpine CDE-123 and it connects fine. Plays Pandora, AudioGalaxy and iTunes Match songs just as before.

6. McBeats thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i kno

7. sabu213 macrumors newbie

Works on my in dash Alpine BT900 as well. Not sure about video though. I have not got it to play a breaking bad vid i have on the iphone 5.

8. cw5150 macrumors newbie

How did you get your Itunes Match to work? I have never gotten that to work on mine with my Iphone 4 or Iphone 5, IOS 5 or 6? It plays Pandora fine but will only play Itunes music that is downloaded on the phone? Same stereo...

9. petethepanda macrumors member

Did previous iOS devices work plugged in via USB or does it require the USB-plus-aux cable?

10. emaja macrumors 68000

You do have to start the download and then plug it in. Once the first song is downloaded, I use the front USB and then control the music from the head unit. The rest downloads in the background.

11. chele519 macrumors regular

This is my first Apple product so I don't know. But, the cable came with the car when I got it so I'm assuming it must be necessary. Just got the car in Feb and the dealer gave me the cable in the box.

12. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Any USB stereo 'Made For iPod' should work without an adaptor, just a standard lightning cable, so if it had that on the box/manual you should be good to go.

('Made For iPod' is not the same as 'iPod Out', which does not work).

I was told this by a company that makes in car entertainment gear.