Car transmission: automatic or manual?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ElectroGhandi, Apr 4, 2009.

?

Automatic or manual transmission?

1. Automatic

28.1%
  2. Manual

71.9%
  1. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

Do you prefer automatic or manual transmission?

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

There'll be like 1 automatic in between like 500 Manuals.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's the other way around in the US ;)

Definitely manual for me.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yep. I'm not quite sure why that is considering this is a Mac forum, but whatever.

Anyway, I do prefer manual. More fun to drive.

It's a shame that most of the kids in my age group don't know how to drive one, and have no interest in doing so. Most of them don't even have half a clue of how a car works. (One kid in my Physics class actually asked what the RPM gauge meant...)

5. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I just bought an Accord Coupe and went with auto. Between the mountains up here in Morgantown, WV at school and the D.C. traffic back home I made the most practical choice. If I had bought a sports car it woulda been stick, but then I would only drive that on weekends.

6. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Manual... More fun to drive, you are more in tune with the engine as you listen to the engine revs which tell you when to shift.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I meant the preference :p.

I'm in the U.S to, and have lived here since like 8 years ago (I was 7 at the time we came here)
    So, I know that the U.S is all automatic but most people would still rather drive a manual.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I prefer manual but buy automatic as I spend too much time in traffic. A stick in traffic sucks.

10. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

I would really prefer a stick. My auto transmission waits until higher rpm's to shift, where I'd really shift a lot earlier to save gas: I don't need to accelerate fast. Then, I'd also like the ability to shift directly into the lower gear I want when I do decide to accelerate: my auto will shift sequentially through as I mash down the pedal, whereas I could go straight from, say, 5 to 3 in a manual.

Not to mention, way more fun to drive and I hate feeling so out of touch with my vehicle with an auto tranny.

11. ElectroGhandi thread starter macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

Yeah I'm in high school and I haven't been driving long, but I definitely prefer the clutch. You are right, most people in high school don't drive a clutch (I'd say 90% of my high school parking lot is automatic).

I want a Buick LaCrosse, but sadly it only comes automatic :(

12. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Manual.

Primarily because that's all I've ever driven, but also because it's (supposed to be) more fuel efficient?

13. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Manual all the way,

I've driven a few autos and it's freakin weird :eek: Keep stamping on the floor with my left foot and my brain gets all in a tiz when coming to a stop :eek:

Where as with my nice manual classic mini I can change gear when ever required and keep the revs up for spirited driving, or keep them fairly low when I'm going A to B, traffic has never been a problem even with a fairly heavy clutch, there is just no conscious effort from me, my feet just manage it all by them selves :D

14. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

manuals are nice if you aren't in a hilly area. around town (for me) it can increase mileage by up to 10%.

i still prefer automatic so you can really focus on what you are doing on the road.

15. ElectroGhandi thread starter macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

For some people, maybe, but it becomes second nature eventually (shifting between 1st to 2nd to 3rd, etc is already second nature to me and I've only been driving the manual for a month)

I still have some trouble getting started on up-slopes though haha. I tend to make it buck and stall out :eek:

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think people who drive manuals are more focused on the road and their surroundings than people in autos. Some people think they can just put their car in D and it'll do everything for them and they don't really pay attention.

17. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah i mean i have had manual trans. cars more than automatic. i currently have one right now - however yeah.. i knew someone would say they are 'more in-tune' with the car. that makes a lot of sense. maybe it's just me, but with family and friends in the car i'd rather not be shifting gears!

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Two-hour traffic jams = automatic. I have had manuals though.

(Why an Open Poll. You nosey or somethin'?? :p)

19. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I really have no preference. I learned to drive on a manual transmission, but my current car is an automatic. I hate driving no matter what type of transmission the car has.

20. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Count me in on the dying breed that prefers manuals. I have driven manuals for the last 12 years straight. In fact, going back to about 1991 or so, I have had one vehicle that wasn't a manual, and I only drove it for about 2 years. When I bought my Madza 6, I hunted for about 2 months before buying because I wanted one with the V6 and manual tranny, which I found is a rare combo that sells very quickly. I joke about many people in this country can't drive a manual, but I can't drive an automatic. My parents think I'm a terrible driver, since when they make me drive their Camry, I double stomp the brake pedal trying to hit the clutch, and drop the shifter into a lower gear or neutral trying to change gears. I say if you going to put a shifter in the console, it should be connected to a manual! :D

One ancedote about how sad this country is when it comes to manuals. When I was looking around for a Mazda 6 with the V6 and manual, I was at a fairly large Mazda dealership and asked if they had any. The sales drone said they had plenty. I was a bit skeptical, but I went along with him, and told him my preferences. He took me to one in the color I wanted, but when I opened it up, it had an auto. I told him I wanted a real manual, not an automatic. He said something like "it is a manual! You just move the shifter over, and move it forward or backward to change gears!" I started laughing, and then explained that I wanted "an honest to god, three pedals on the floor, shift it yourself every DAMN time, manual transmission, not some wannabe automatic that pretends it's a manual" transmission. Then I asked if they had any of THOSE on the lot. Judging by the look on his face, I may as well have asked him if they had a Harrier jump jet on the lot that I could test drive.

21. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

I think at some point in the future, driving a manual will be pointless. There are some pretty exciting things going on right now in automatic transmission technology (at least with the Japanese and the Germans; the US OEMs are hopeless). Mercedes has been steadily improving on the 7-speed automatic they rolled out in 2003, and ZF (a German tranny OEM) has introduced an 8-speed that will go into BMWs. Toyota are also shipping 8-speed transmissions on certain Lexus models. These are not your father's automatics: they offer much better performance, faster shifting and far better fuel economy than the old 4- or 5-speed models. Right now, these tend to be on high-end cars, but I'd expect that the technology will trickle down to more affordable cars eventually.

For me, though, the really exciting development work is in double-clutch transmissions (DCTs), which are best thought of as automated manual transmissions, i.e., manuals with no clutch pedal. They employ separate clutches for odd and even gears, and thus shifts are instantaneous with no loss of power during shifting, unlike with conventional manuals. Up until recently, VW and Audi have been the main proponents of these, but BMW and others are getting into the act.

As for me, I've been driving only manuals since 1981, but I think I could be persuaded to switch to a DCT if it becomes available on a model I care about.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm still learning but I much prefer manual so far. Much more control over the car.

23. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I really wish I had a manual. I have a manual license, and i'm looking to buy a second-hand manual, but both my parent's cars (a ford falcon wagon and a holden commodore wagon) are both autos. I almost feel lazy driving them.

semi auto trannies = epic fail. They never shift when you want them to shift, and they don't solve the problem of the slushbox between the engine and the driveshaft.

24. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

I prefer manual! You have more control over your car than automatic.

25. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

These transmissions are great for performance, but I still object to them being called "manual" transmissions. Some would argue that anything without a torque converter is a manual - that's a load. Anything without a clutch pedal is an automatic, no ifs ands or buts!

A manual will always be more fun and more engaging to drive than an auto or DSG. The only cars I would buy with an auto would be something with no manual option (e.g., GTR), or if I ever bought a pickup or big SUV. No point to a manual in a vehicle like that, imo.