Car Troubles...any advice appreciated!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ideal.dreams, Jun 27, 2011.

1. ideal.dreams, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Hey guys,

So I have an 03 Cadillac CTS and I tried starting it this morning and it wouldn't start. The battery was jumped by my dad and still nothing, so we called AAA. They came out within 5 minutes and said the battery was fine and it's not the problem, so our next option was to have it towed and have it checked out there. My problem is that the place we were going to have it delivered to will have my car all day today and possibly tomorrow so before I have to make other arrangements I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

What could be the problem?

Thanks

Edit: Tried using OnStar for on board diagnostics but none of the car's electronics will turn on. Also, the key is now stuck in the steering column.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You stole your own car??

Just kidding, sort of. ;)

I hope the jump didn't fry any components. :eek:

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Would the starter engage at all? Any of the electronics still operating( before the jump)?

4. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

No, the car wouldn't turn over at all and none of the electronics turned on.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Are the battery leads clean and tight? Wires to and from starter and distributor cap intact and tight?

6. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I'm no car expert but everything that I could see looked OK.

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I would go check the fuses to see if any blew( go read the owners manual to see which fuses to check). If the fuses are still good, then you probably are having an electronics problem if the starter won't even engage and have zero electronics operating.

8. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

From the research I've found it looks like a problem with the crankshaft position sensor which was replaced by the dealership before I got the car. It may have gone bad, but I'll definitely check the fuses.

9. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

Work from the battery back:

Is the battery OK
    Fuses
    Alternator
    Starter
    Computer
    Does it have spark
    Does it have fuel

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

A crankshaft position sensor though wouldn't kill all power. The electronics in the car would still be operating.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think you can cross Alternator off the list. Even if the the Alternator was bad it is not needed to start the car and it can run a while just off battery.

The question is the starter. Does it sound like it is trying to turn the car off?

As for the computer that will be fairly easy to check. They plug in a device they can get some real time data from it and see if it is even throwing a code.

If I had to guess it is going to be starter or a fuse issue.

Yep. And you can even run the car with out the Crankshaft sensor. The computer will go to the camshaft sensor to keep the engine running. It throws a code and screams and complains about it but you can still drive it. I had my camshaft sensor go out while I was driving and I kept driving the car for a the rest of the week until I had the time to take it in to get replaced.

As for eletriconics not working that tells me it is an electrical issues. You could of blown your main fuse. I had that blow on my car. I could not even turn on my flashers.

12. stroked Suspended

stroked

I have friend with an 03' Pontiac. When her battery died, it did just like your car, including the stuck key in the ignition, and the gear shift wouldn't move either. I put in a new battery, and it hasn't had any problems since. If your battery is good, then I think you have a bad cable or connection.

13. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Battery is at 12 volts according to AAA
    Fuses are fine
    Alternator is fine
    Don't know how to check the starter, computer, or to see if it's sparking
    Has fuel.

Which is what I find weird, nothing is working.

I have a 6 year battery that was installed in 08 though, it shouldn't be anywhere near ready to quit.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am assuming you can not turn on anything like the radio.
    That tells me it could be the fuss connecting battery to everything else. On my car it is like a 120 Amp fuss and cost 100+ to replace. My fuss blew in a wreck.

Another thing is battery connectors are bad or loss. I had that happen on my old car that the termal wire was bad on the ground wire.

15. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

You're assuming correctly, nothing turns on. It looks like it's nothing I can fix my self so I'm just gonna have to wait til I can take it in to our mechanic.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Chances are then it is something simple.

It could be the main fuse and that is going to be like 100-120 Amp fuse.
    Or it could be as simple as your ground wire is not connected right. Really that infomation puts the list at a pretty small area on what it can be.

Turn on your head lights in the car then pop the hood and look at the wires on the battery and mess with them a little. If your head lights come on you found your issues.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2319934_find-cars-main-battery-fuse.html

17. ideal.dreams, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Even if it is one of those two things, how would it have gone bad overnight? I took my car on a 2 hour drive on Saturday and it was fine, let it sit all day yesterday, and come today I can't move it. Things just don't go bad, do they?

Edit: I tightened my ground wire and checked all of my fuses, everything looked fine but the car still will not start. I am taking it to our mechanic tomorrow morning.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I should have been less enigmatic with my first post. Sorry. :eek:

I do not trust the new anti-theft devises.

I say this because when I take my car in for service, and give them the service key, they always ask if it's locked. If I say yes, they ask is I used the door button/key or the alarm system remote. It seems the latter can cause a problem if they try to use the service key to unlock the door.

A shot in the dark, for sure.

:confused:

19. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Wow, that helps me a lot. Thanks! </sarcasm>. Seriously, that has nothing to do with this post :rolleyes:

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

They can, and do, all of a sudden quit working. I had a computer get fried because something in the electrical system went bad (never found out what). One minute the car was working great. I turned it off and got out to do something and got back in 30 minutes later and it wouldn't turn over. Had to have it rewired and a new computer put in. Not cheap.

21. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Well that sucks. I'm taking it in tomorrow, going to try to jump it before I do. Thanks for the help guys :)

22. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

So it turns out that the battery was in fact dead. If the charge is below 12 volts the system won't let the car start, which is why the jump wouldn't let me start the car. Everything is good now, thanks to everyone who helped me out :)