Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Sometime amateur car detailer here, and one of the things that works good on car windows, (not windshield) is very light car wax, not the carnauba, but the silicone types. It makes the glass super smooth, resists spots, water runs right off. I've used it on my patio doors and even a glass table, makes the glass like Teflon.
Anyone brave enough to try it on the iPad screen?
I know some one posted they used it on their screen protector, to make it slicker.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I seem to recall a product announcement about 2 days ago for some stick of carnauba wax that you rubbed on the screen to prevent fingerprints, make it smoother, cure baldness, etc. Said it was specifically for mobile devices. That said — I'll pass.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Some people have done it already on an iPhone. You can probably find the thread if you search.

Either way, it's not a good idea to put car wax on your screen. You never know what it'll do to the glass's clarity or oleophobic coating.

silroc

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Some people have done it already on an iPhone. You can probably find the thread if you search.

Either way, it's not a good idea to put car wax on your screen. You never know what it'll do to the glass's clarity or oleophobic coating.

Your sig doesn't support your advice- you're a fraud

bjobes

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
I use the same stuff I use to polish my glass fish tank. Works great on the Ipad, iPhone and glasses too:D

It really does help

Coralife-Glass-Cleaner-Polisher-8oz-(Shines-Exterior-of-Aquarium)-99.jpg

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
This strikes me as a very bad idea. Car waxes are made for a very different environment, and to protect a very different material, than comprises an iPad screen.

Doing something like this poses all sorts of unknown risks: Will the wax damage the olephobic coating? Will it scratch the glass? Perhaps most importantly, there is a risk of wax getting into the iPad itself via the switch and speaker opening, and compromising the performance of the screen or the iPad itself.

But perhaps most importantly: It promises no conceivable benefit. The iPad's screen shows fingerprints. But so does the surface of even the most perfectly waxed automobile. And I don't plan on leaving my iPad out in the rain.

Don't do it. Find something elese to talk about.

DocD

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Sometime amateur car detailer here, and one of the things that works good on car windows, (not windshield) is very light car wax, not the carnauba, but the silicone types. It makes the glass super smooth, resists spots, water runs right off. I've used it on my patio doors and even a glass table, makes the glass like Teflon.
Anyone brave enough to try it on the iPad screen?
I know some one posted they used it on their screen protector, to make it slicker.

The best and cheapest you can get is Smittys Glass Wax. One small bottle less than $10.00 and includes the cloth. One bottle will last 5 years for both your phone and tablet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.