Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
FearFactor47 said:
When I first drove the car - the clutch went down to the floor really really really easily, like no friction. After driving for about an hour there is more friction - is this normal?

It's been a while since I've had to have a new clutch, 10 years infact... from what I remember the biting point went from being really low with the old clutch, to really high with the new one.... (and a particularly narrow biting point window) though cars, even specific clutches differ.

That said... Corsa's are small cars, and (I'm not being in anyway sexist) but are very popular with women, so the clutch is likely going to be really light and will feel very different to one that was on it's way out.

What's the car that has adjustable power steering??? I forget... I drove one of those once, and the when you turned the dial to 'Girlie' setting, it felt like the wheels were disconnected it was that light. :p

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
FearFactor47 said:
However when I put it into Reverse it is making a grunt noise before it goes in. <-- That is when I put the car into reverse stright after starting the car. If I put the car into 1st gear, then into reverse there is no noise.

A grunt noise??? I take it it doesn't sound like a grind, like when you miss a change and the cogs grind?

It could be the linkage, you can usually adjust that out.

That said, and you probably don't want to spend any more money on it... but if you've got a service history, check to see if the car has ever had it's gearbox oil changed. If not, I'd be inclined to change it (buy yourself a Haynes Manual, some gearbox oil from Halfords and do this yourself).

Could be, though I hope it isn't... the snychromesh.

That said... it's not uncommon for cars to not have the smoothest of shifting actions into reverse, for various reasons.

Personally I'd drive it for a while, let the clutch bed in and get used to the cars charateristics and quirks (they all have them) before you go and spend any more money on it.

Though if the problem deteriorates, get it checked. ;)

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I am taking it over to the garage tomorrow and it is getting adjusted. Hopefully this will fix the problem. The car is driving smoother with the new EGR valve etc. I have the Belkin cassette adapter and I plug that into my iPod to listen to my music :)

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I thought Fiestas were the girly cars? :p

I learned to drive in a Fiesta, and I would have loved one if it wasn't for the stereotype that they are only for women! They drive great!

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
iGav said:
A grunt noise??? I take it it doesn't sound like a grind, like when you miss a change and the cogs grind?

It could be the linkage, you can usually adjust that out.

That said, and you probably don't want to spend any more money on it... but if you've got a service history, check to see if the car has ever had it's gearbox oil changed. If not, I'd be inclined to change it (buy yourself a Haynes Manual, some gearbox oil from Halfords and do this yourself).

Could be, though I hope it isn't... the snychromesh.

That said... it's not uncommon for cars to not have the smoothest of shifting actions into reverse, for various reasons.

Personally I'd drive it for a while, let the clutch bed in and get used to the cars charateristics and quirks (they all have them) before you go and spend any more money on it.

Though if the problem deteriorates, get it checked. ;)

Yes - it's like a grind. I owe the garage £370 (was £480) - I paid £110. The guy is letting me pay this over two months.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Well, I was letting my Dad hear the noise before we take it over to the garage today - and it won't do it! I have tried numerous times, even drove around to heat the engine up and even tried doing it on a gentle slope - it is not making the noise anymore. He said maybe it's just worn itself in or something. Possible?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
FearFactor47 said:
Possible?

Of course... if depends if it was more a case of the new clutch interferring with the shifting (hence the grind) and now that it's bedded in slightly... you won't have the problem, or whether it was related to the gearbox.

You'll have likely never used a brand new clutch before, so you're unlikely be used to the closer tolerences of a new clutch... and that may also be exasperating the issue.

Remember though, it's not uncommon to have cars that don't shift smoothly into reverse, but that doesn't also mean that there is something wrong with it. ;)

I still say you should just drive it, and get used to it's charateristics and quirks and let it build up your confidence with it, but just keep an eye out for any deterioration when selecting reverse, if it does deteriorate then take it to a garage. ;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
FearFactor47 said:
I thought Fiestas were the girly cars? :p

All small cars have that stigma ;) it's just the Fiesta is a ferociously good drivers car as well... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.