Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with a question I have about a Caran d'Arche pen. I love pens and other stationery and I have always wanted a Caran d'Arche pen but they are rather expensive so I have never bought one. A few weeks ago I went to an estate sale and bought a really nice looking one for around $12. Not a bad price I thought and the pen looked good and worked but the ink cartridge was in need of replacing. The pen is old, probably 1950's or 1960's but I like to know more about it. It is a ball point pen and not a fountain pen and it appears to be gold plated but I'm not for sure (I'd like to know).

I contacted Caran d'Arche and gave them the number that was engraved on the inside of the barrel (you can only see it when you take the pen apart to put a new cartridge in). The number looks like a serial number or possibly just a manufacturer's number of some kind but I thought that if I gave them the number they would be able to tell me when it was made and what kind of pen it is (and what kind of metal it is and the refill it takes). I wasn't able to find out anything from the company after exchanging a few emails with them, which seems odd that they can't simply look up the number. I'm guessing the number has the date of manufacture in it as well but that is only a guess. The number is six digits long. For example 161759. I was wondering if, for example, that the number 1 was the factory, 617 was the number of pens made up to that point and 59 was for 1959. Of course I could be way off but I'd love for someone to explain the number to me or point me to a site where I can reference my number to find out more information on it. If anyone has any suggestions I love to hear them. Thanks in advance.

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Thanks decafjava and Gutwrench for the advice. I searched and searched online for a site that could help and I did surf a lot of fountain pen forums but everything was only fountain pens (that I saw). Maybe I should post my question there and see if anyone knows? I'm not a member of the site but I'll think about joining up. The employees that I exchanged emails with at Caran d'Arche were very nice but I was surprised that such an expensive and high-end pen maker couldn't tell me more info seeing how I gave them the number on the barrel. Some of their pens are crazy expensive, I hope that people who buy those $500 (and up) pens don't have as much trouble finding out about their pens! I'll look into the German site too!

Reactions: Gutwrench

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
@MechaSpanky - I hope you can find some info somewhere. You scored at the estate auction! I’ve gone to a few but not as many as I should have. Best of luck.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Thanks decafjava and Gutwrench for the advice. I searched and searched online for a site that could help and I did surf a lot of fountain pen forums but everything was only fountain pens (that I saw). Maybe I should post my question there and see if anyone knows? I'm not a member of the site but I'll think about joining up. The employees that I exchanged emails with at Caran d'Arche were very nice but I was surprised that such an expensive and high-end pen maker couldn't tell me more info seeing how I gave them the number on the barrel. Some of their pens are crazy expensive, I hope that people who buy those $500 (and up) pens don't have as much trouble finding out about their pens! I'll look into the German site too!

Ask on Reddit

Reactions: Gutwrench

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'd recommend having the Caran d'Ache (and it is Caran d'Ache, not Caran d'Arche) pen serviced in an authorised outlet; they might be able to help advise you on it.

Have Caran d'Ache been able to tell you anything about that particular model of ballpoint pen (leaving aside the matter of the serial number?)

In any case, I have a Caran d'Ache fountain pen that I bought brand new from an authorised dealer almost two decades ago.

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Scepticalscribe,

Thanks for the advice, I'll look and see if there is an authorized dealer in my area. I'm not sure if they have one where I live but they might. There is a high end pen store not so far from where I live and they might be it. Sorry for the misspelling.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Scepticalscribe,

Thanks for the advice, I'll look and see if there is an authorized dealer in my area. I'm not sure if they have one where I live but they might. There is a high end pen store not so far from where I live and they might be it. Sorry for the misspelling.

If you get the pen serviced in an authorised re-seller, or an authorised store, that should allow you to actually use the pen, and they might be able to offer further advice as to where you could try to find out more about the exact model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.