Carbon Copy Clone isnt recognized as computer, gotta migrate data!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aaps59, Aug 14, 2012.

1. aaps59 macrumors regular

aaps59

Hi, I just got my computer back after a free hard drive replacement from Macmall, and I need to transfer/migrate all my data from my back up, which is actually a carbon copy clone, created with the carbon copy cloner app. In the past, after a carbon copy was created, it would show up for me with a icon of a computer, now it just shows up with a icon of a drive. I know this doesnt really matter, but Im thinking it would mean that my backup isnt being recognized a computer, which It should be.
    And because of this, Im having trouble migrating my system to the new hard drive. I want to do a direct transfer. This backup/carbon copy is totally bootable, which is how Im posting right now. Any idea on how to transfer the system? When I do it through migration assist, it doesnt recognize the backup as a computer, and when I do it as a disk, it never finishes calculating how much data is on the drive, and is never able to find the data to be transferred.
    Any ideas?

2. simsaladimbamba

What about booting from the clone and cloning that clone onto the new HDD?

3. aaps59 thread starter macrumors regular

aaps59

I actually thought about that, then for some reason I thought it wouldnt work. Why not give it a try eh?