Carbon Copy Cloner backed up to a drive I can't find

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alosenster, Oct 8, 2009.

1. alosenster macrumors newbie

CCC kinda went on the fritz for me tonight. About 80% of the way through my scheduled backup task, I noticed my backup drive wasn't even connected. Also, about 40 GB had been copied, whereas a typical backup usually backs up only a few MBs.
    After halting the backup I noticed that the Macintosh HD had grown by about 40 GB. I'd like to erase the duplicate data before running another backup, but I can't locate the extra data. I checked the size of the Users, System, Library, Developer, and Applications folder and they add up to the approx. 60 GB I had before the backup.
    My iStat shows another drive called "backup1", but a search for that in finder yields no results. Also, Disk Utility doesn't show another drive besides Macintosh HD (I have the actual backup disk disconnected at the moment).

So... where's Waldo?

2. alosenster thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, I'm running Tiger on a white intel iMac, if that makes a difference.

3. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Try downloading Disk Inventory X. I've used it to organize my hard drive before and it's help me find files...

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Also give your machine a good reboot. I think I had something similar happen once where it had backed up more GB than my drive could actually store total. The problem resolved itself though from what I remember. Using the above mentioned tool should help find any data that really is around.

5. alosenster thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect! Disk Inventory X found the files right away. I was able to move them to trash and delete them completely.
    Thanks.