Carbon Copy Cloner - cloning a clone?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 3wood, Oct 17, 2012.

1. 3wood macrumors member

3wood

Before I took my 2011 iMac 21" in for repair last week, I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the hard drive, and I checked it to make sure it worked. The clone booted fine to the iMac. Now I find that the iMac will be at the Apple Store for repair at least another week so if you can - please answer this for me regarding the clone.

1. The external HD I used for cloning the iMac's drive is now needed for something else so I would like to move the material that makes up the clone onto a different external drive. Can I simply use CCC to clone the clone onto a different drive? Then when I get the iMac back, I should be able to use the new "cloned clone" to restore back to the iMac?

Thank you,
    Reed.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why not simply use the other external drive for whatever purpose you have, rather than messing with the cloned backup? To properly clone your backup, I would boot from that backup, then create another clone.

3. 3wood thread starter macrumors member

3wood

The drive containing the clone is a 1TB. It's my largest external, and I would like to use it for some other work, but I'll leave the clone alone if there are possibilities I could damage the clone by cloning or other wise moving it onto another drive. I'll work around using the 1TB drive containing the clone.

Thanks.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, that would work just fine.

5. 3wood thread starter macrumors member

3wood

Wb, thank you.
    Reed.

6. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

It should work fine, but just to remind you its always a good idea to test it by changing your start-up disk in Sys Pref to the clone, then rebooting and making sure it works as per normal system, before you delete anything.

7. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

You can skip the sys pref part by holding option when you start up.

8. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

Of course, gotta love keyboard shortcuts as a way of life

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Then when I get the iMac back, I should be able to use the new "cloned clone" to restore back to the iMac?"

Yes, just "clone the clone" BACK to the original drive.

Works fine.

10. 3wood thread starter macrumors member

3wood

THANKS everybody for your advice. When I got the imac back from Apple on Wednesday. All went smoothly cloning the clone back to the puter. :D

Reed.