Carbon Copy Cloner - Folder Naming

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Windows Expat, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Windows Expat macrumors member

Windows Expat

I'm a new Apple user, so hopefully this isn't a dumb question. I'm content to let Time Machine do it's thing, but as a photographer, I'm thinking of using CCC to backup my folders with photos specifically.

It works pretty well, but there's one minor annoyance I can't seem to figure out. When it backs up, it creates a string of folders like the ones on my Macintosh HD. So I end up with Users/Name/Pictures/Etc instead of just putting the backup into a root folder on my external.

I tried using the option of telling it specifically which folder to backup into, but to no avail.

I also tried a demo of Super Duper and it does the same thing.

Anyone know how to change this behavior? Thanks!

2. DewGuy1999, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Technically Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper are both utilities to make clone(s) of a hard drive and aren't actually backup software so I don't think the behavior you're looking to change can be changed. I think the equivalent of these two utilities in the Windows world would be something like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image.

3. stroked Suspended

stroked

Just drag the folders to the HDD that you want to back them up with.

4. Windows Expat thread starter macrumors member

Windows Expat

Well, yeah, but that defeats the purpose. I want something scheduled that I don't need to remember to do.

Also, I want my backup to mirror the current state of my main work folder. It should update each sub-folder with new edits and delete the photos I've rejected in Lightroom. Just copy-pasting won't do that.

5. niksimpsons macrumors member

niksimpsons

Hopefully "Stellar Shield" could help you in this case. It is a pre-install utility and work two ways: one "Data Recovery" & other "Schedule Image (for backup)" . It let you schedule the backup at the time what ever you want and at that point of time it will take backup of your data in the form of image and you can find your backup files in a folder "Stellar Files" inside Applications (path of backup folder: Go -> Applications ->Stellar Files-> (.dmg) ).
    Whenever you want to recover your data just browse this image using other option of the software and enjoy your data back!