carbon copy cloner or superduper?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Luis Ortega, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

Which is better?
    I use superduper and it works fine but I always see articles about bootable clones seem to mention carbon copy cloner instead.

2. ohanian macrumors newbie

They are both more or less the SAME

Just pick one which you are comfortable with.

Stop worrying about it.

3. Xavier macrumors 68020

I think the difference is CCC is free where as Superduper cost a small fee

4. Genl. Ludd macrumors newbie

You might want both

Hi: If you are one of those old timers that try to use your older cloned OS on an older Power PC (like the Beige G3) you will need the Carbon Cloner's blessing option or you will see the black apple forever.

5. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Try carbon copy cloner first as it's free, why spend money if you don't need too? :D

Never used super duper but I clone my boot drive every day with carbon copy cloner, works great :)

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

As has been said, the both do the same job. Before I bought my new iMac and went over to Time Machine, I always used Superduper to make a regular bootable backup.

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm just using CCC for the first time, and I'm wondering..

Just backed up my HD to an External HD using CCC. I selected the option to back up every time I connect my external. Now, the next time I connect it, will it back up my ENTIRE HD again, or will it recognize the changes I've made to my HD since my last backup, and simply make the necessary adjustments (erase deleted files, add new files)?

Also, I had already made a backup using the WD Software that came with my External (WD My Passport Studio - 600 GB). I then went ahead and performed a CCC on top of that. If/When I have to boot from my External (or when I transfer it to a new HD if I ever need or get one), will it create duplicates of all of my files, or will it recognize that most of the files are the same..Should I delete all the info on my External and just start fresh with a new CCC?

Sorry for how long this is..

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Using CCC's Incremental Backup when setting a schedule scheme. I did it this way on mine after I first made a full clone. I have backup every Saturday at 1200 and it works as long as my Mac is on or sleeping.

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

So after my initial clone, I should set the preference to: "Incremental Backup of Selected Items" ?? Does this mean that every time I backup after that, it will only deal with newly deleted/added files?

If I leave it set to backup everything, will it re-clone everything every time?

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I prefer CCC, but that's it. My preference. They both perform greatly and you pick the one you like the most.

11. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

As far as I've seen, it will re-clone everything if you leave it set to Backup Everything.

Switch it to Incremental Backup of Selected Items, then select them all, and it will only change, backup, and delete what has changed since the last backup.

12. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

13. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

No experience with SupreDuper, but I've used CCC with success.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I settled on SuperDuper! years ago because there was a bug with CCC at the time which occasionally resulted in lost hard drive space.