carbon copy cloner or time machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cyberheart, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Cyberheart macrumors member

Cyberheart

I use time machine but i dont know anything about carbon copy cloner...

please give your thoughts

2. simsaladimbamba

CCC does make bootable backups, TM backups are not bootable and add additional steps to the recovery. Many people here do TM backups and also have CCC or SuperDuper clone their HDDs.
    I do that two and can somehow claim to have the best of both worlds. Or not.
    Maybe the official CCC website can help you understand more: www.bombich.com

New fodder for the TE library, it is quite a hungry beast. Gladly I don't have to do much hunting though. Thanks.

(walks away with a cane swinging, and then dropping it and picking it up again and hurrying home to the spinache solvent)

3. Cyberheart thread starter macrumors member

Cyberheart

thanks for the info

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I use both....TM for getting back a file or folder (on occasion I have done a TM restore of my entire machine). I use CCC to clone my drive when I upgrade the OS (e.g. from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5) that way if something's hosed by the update, I can quickly boot up the clone and be back in business.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I also use both. TM is great for those times when you want a document or folder restored. CCC is better for total system restores. I found trying to a Time Machine system restore was incredibly slow - 8 hours. CCC did the same thing in about 2.5 hours.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Another vote for both, although I use SuperDuper instead of CCC. I have two external HDs and one has time machine plus a clone, and the other is a clone plus data in a separate partition. I clone to alternate backups about twice a week.

7. BigRedOne macrumors regular

+1 on old-wiz's set up, almost the same back up strategy.

8. StevenMiles macrumors newbie

Hi,

Hope people are still listening. I've got a question. I have SD and CCC, but I thought I would use TM and... CCC rather than SD, because CCC will archive deleted and changed files in subsequent backups, so that if I delete a file accidentally, or change one and want the old one back, I can still recover from that problem.

Does anyone have experience with this? I didn't see that SD could do that.

--Steve D.

9. reputationZed macrumors 65816

If your using TM it's already keeping an archive of your changed and deleted files. Think of TM as the safe for individual files and either CCC or SD as the safe for a bootable copy of your OS. You can duplicate some of TM's functionality with CCC or SD but that kind of defeats the purpose of TM.

10. niksimpsons macrumors member

niksimpsons

I have some mixed experience with both TM & CCC. With time machine there are some cases when time machine fails to backup your valuable data:
    • Backup volume unavailability.
    • Time machine configuration problem
    • Unable to load the volume whose back up has been needed.
    • The volume whose backup has to be taken is not present
    • Any unwanted Error occurred during process of copying files for backup.
    • The airport extreme using for backup is not compatible to time machine.

And the CCC it make string of folders (folder inside folders) which me found very annoying. From last week someone recommend me stellar shield for now I am using it and till now quite satisfied...

11. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Hopefully some of the experienced (CCC and TM) MacRumors users are still reading this and will give their feedback. In case I forget, TIA.

I've searched for an answer for this specific question and although there are lots of topics covering using both Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine to cover all your bases this never seems to be touched upon, so here goes:

Hypothetically, I use CCC to clone my internal hard drive to an external hard drive, say once or twice a week. I also use Time Machine to continuously (more or less) back up. This goes on for a period of time and I then have an internal hard drive failure (or other reason to need to restore) so I clone the CCC clone back to the internal hard drive. Let's say that the clone is from Monday and it's now Friday, how would I go about getting the changed files from Monday through Friday that TM backed up on the external back on the newly restored internal hard drive? TIA.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

CCC not only creates a bootable backup that TM can't, it also does incremental backups to keep the backup current. For that reason, I have found no use for Time Machine.

13. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I've been using CCC for years with G4 iMac running Tiger. I have an external hard drive with 2 CCC partitions that I use on alternating days with the incremental option. However, many advocate using TM along with CCC in the manner mentioned in my previous message. I can see that there could be advantages to that method but having never used TM I don't know enough about how it works to understand how a Mac could be restored to it's previous state by using both CCC and TM, that's why I asked, maybe what I'm asking about doing isn't even possible, I just don't know.

14. jon08, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

jon08 macrumors 65816

Hey guys, let me borrow this thread real quick.

I just got a new MBP and will be using an SSD as my main drive, while having an additional drive in the optibay. So the SSD will be my boot drive with the OS and the apps.

I plan to make a fresh install (Lion) and then install all my apps first - before doing anything else. Then, I'd like to make a backup of this freshly installed OS with apps so that in case the SSD failed (for whatever reason), I could simply retrieve the entire OS with the apps from an external drive onto the *new* SSD that would replace the failed one --- that way I'd save on OS & app installation time and I would have a fresh install again.

Would CCC be the best choice in this case?

15. simsaladimbamba

That is what CCC is there for.
    I have an SSD in my optibay and the HDD in the HDD bay and cloned the SSD to the HDD and do so on a daily basis.
    I also backup the SSD to an external HDD, in case the SSD and internal HDD fail and I have an external boot device for troubleshooting.

16. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Yep!

17. jon08 macrumors 65816

I see, thanks! Would someone be so kind as to please write what exactly I'd need to do to clone the OS with apps onto my external HDD? Will CCC make a partition on my external HDD? What should I be careful about when I clone my SSD?

Thanks.

18. simsaladimbamba, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011

simsaladimbamba

You need an external HDD formatted with HFS+ (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) as FORMAT, and no, CCC will not make an extra partition on any HDD, it will just copy to the partition you selected.

Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format
    [​IMG]

This is how it looks on my iMac:
    [​IMG]

19. jon08 macrumors 65816

So the HDD partition I'll be cloning my OS X with apps to definitely has to be formatted to Mac OS X (Journaled)? It cannot be NTFS?

Btw, how will I know how big the partition for my cloned OS X will need to be?

Thanks.

20. simsaladimbamba

It can only be HFS+, not NTFS, as NTFS is not a file system supported by Mac OS X.

I have a 120 GB SSD in my MBP and I give the clone partition 125 GB.

21. jon08 macrumors 65816

I use Paragon NTFS though... Still best to format the partition I will be cloning to to HFS+?

Do you have a bootcamp partition on your SSD also?

22. simsaladimbamba

CCC will only clone to HFS+ formatted volumes, even with NTFS drivers on the Mac.
    And currently I have no Boot Camp partition on my SSD. Take a look at Winclone for backing up the Windows side.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended)
    • Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
    • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! backups of Mac internal hard drive.
    • To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
    • To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
    • Maximum file size: 8EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 8EiB

24. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel