Carbon Copy Cloner Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JPM42, Oct 26, 2007.

1. JPM42 macrumors 6502

Today I purchased a Western Digital My Book Home Edition 500 GB external hard drive. I plugged it in, installed what came with it and so I opened up CCC to make a bootable backup of my hard drive before I install Leopard tomorrow. However when I try to click on my new hard drive as the target disk, this is what happens...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/beatle_nut/CCCIssue.png

It is not clickable (the "My Book" part that is). Is there something that I am doing wrong? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

You have formatted the drive as HFS+, right?

Sorry if I'm overstating the obvious *grin*, but a friend had the exact same problem, and it turned out that the disk was formatted FAT32 and he'd forgotten to re-format (he's a very experienced Mac user - was obviously having a bad day!)

3. JPM42 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oops... I didn't even know I was supposed to do that. LOL, excuse my ignorance, but how would I do that?

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You're not the first to not get told that. ;)

To format the disk, open Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility) and select the drive in the list on the left. Choose the Erase tab in the right pane, then select Mac OS Extended or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the list (for your purposes, it might be best just to choose Mac OS Extended, which is the HFS+ he was referring to). Name it if you like, then click Erase.

That's all, folks!

jW

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

First you didn't need any software that WD gave you. I have a my book too.

Open up disk utility. its in applications > utilities > disk utility

Then click your drive on the left hand side it will say like "464 GB WD"

Then click erase on the right hand portion select "mac OS Extended Journaled"

or you could go into the partition section and setup partitions in the same "Mac OS Extended Journaled," if you don't want all the stuff on the same partition.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You tried a little too hard there.

7. cyberderm macrumors newbie

I screwed up - Mac partition undo?

Just updated Carbon Copy Cloner and tried to backup to a network drive on a ReadyNAS NV+ where other mac backups had co-existed with PC data. The PC data is gone-gone-gone. I was looking a the network volume on a pc and suddenly all Pc files have disappeared. I stopped the CCC backup immediately and only a few megs are written to the partition. I suspect the partition was reformatted as a MAC format. Any easy undo or am i screwed?
    Thanks for any help.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I just had CCC corrupt an HFS+ volume. I had SuperDuper! already installed but I just had to get into a mindset and focus only on CCC. I did a search online and found a few other results on CCC corrupting volumes. Its rare but make sure you have another backup beforehand.

9. cyberderm macrumors newbie

Did you recover the drive CCC corrupted and how?

SuperDuper looks interesting but that does not solve my problem. I am still looking to recover an files on the drive on the ReasyNAS NV+ that are now gone before i do any backups to the ReadyNAS. Any idea appreciated.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I did not really try much beyond a disk repair under First Air in Disk Utility. You might have some luck with Disk Warrior but that requires you to pay up front on a gamble.

I just told my sibling that the last Time Machine backup was the best I could do since the drive corrupted. It was from a dead iMac anyways so I could have just lied that it was dead to begin with. :rolleyes:

11. cyberderm macrumors newbie

No go.

First Aif only see local drives not ones on a network. Does disk warrior work on network drives. I HAD a lot of data on a windows compatible format on NAS that i ewant back; my local Mac is fine.

12. cyberderm macrumors newbie

Kudos to CCC

Tech support came though. Hope this helps others. Nothing was lost!

**** PLEASE REPLY ABOVE THIS LINE ****
    **** Any part of your response that is below this line will be discarded ****
    ==================================================
    Subject: No subject

CCC can't reformat a network volume. Also, if CCC was configured to delete something, you would have seen a very obvious warning message before you started the backup task. If you saw no such message, you should find your data in a folder named "_CCC Archives" at the root of the destination.

Mike

View this discussion at our support site online: http://help.bombich.com/discussions/problems/710-no-subject
    To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from http://help.bombich.com, visit
    http://help.bombich.com/unsubscribe/a76f2d0d98207288fc016f9239c5654c9d9f2c15

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have been a registered CCC user for a couple years and their tech support has always been top notch.