Carbon Copy Cloner Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacFanUK, Aug 16, 2009.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I have installed Carbon Copy Cloner to back up my boot drive and successfully backed up once, but then I needed to partition the external drive so I am trying to back up again.

However, the clone process keeps getting stuck at:

usr/share/derby/docs/html/ja_JP/getstart/getstart-simple.html

I have tried searching for this file but can't find it.

Also, once stuck on this file, the 'Data Copied' continues to increase (it's increased from 60GB to 90GB and still going) although my boot drive is only 80GB in total and has about 25GB free.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I have a similar file, except named getstart-single.html. It's in a hidden folder, which is likely why you're having trouble locating it. It's not the issue though. That's just what's being displayed currently on CCC. It's not always accurate up to the moment.

You repartitioned, which means a bit changed and so it will have a lot of backing up to do. I'm not sure anything is going wrong except that you have a lot being backed up now. I went through the same thing after I turned on FileVault.

You may want to start the CCC task from scratch and clear out your backup as there could potentially be something else going on. Have you checked the backup area to see what's being placed there?

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

4. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks, I will have a look at that site.

When I say I partitioned the external drive, I mean the drive I'm using as the destination drive for CCC. There's no other data on there. The only stuff I have to back up is 65GB on the boot drive but when CCC gets stuck, it keeps counting the size and ended up at 180GB before it told me my destination drive was out of space (when I go into 'Get Info' it shows I have 125GB left on the destination drive).

Also, looking at what's been placed on the destination drive, I've got some folders that aren't visible in my boot drive (dev, net, tmp, var).

5. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

Make sure the filesystem is sane ...

Can I suggest that you boot from the OS X install disk and run Disk Utility to verify the partition that you are trying to copy? You may have some problems with the filesystem that need to be addressed before you can make a copy.

Just a suggestion ...

6. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I have just spent about an hour verifying and checking the permissions over and over again, but each time it comes up with the same files having the wrong permissions :(