Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btcomm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
So I cloned the drive, it put an image file on the external HD how would I restore this image if say I put a new HD in the mac system? This is a mac laptop and I exported the image to an external USB HD.

Not quire sure how this works, I know on a PC you would boot from a cd then restore the image but how would you do this on a mac?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
You boot from the external drive...
I'm not sure his external drive is bootable. The clone is a disk image file, I didn't think you could boot from a disk image.

btcomm, you're better off cloning to a partition on the drive than to a disk image. I'm not sure what you're asking can be done easily without another Mac around to do the transfer.

stupidregister

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
Assuming the image is just a byte-for-byte copy of the original drive (and you don't have another Mac), you can use another non-Mac-only program (like dd on a live Linux CD) to copy the image data back to the hard drive.

Or if you want to stick with working with OS X (and you don't have another Mac), you could install OS X onto a third hard drive, and use that temporarily to allow you to use CCC to restore the image.

ajchapinjr.com

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Something that I ran into when trying to boot off an external

...you might want to run Disk Utility on your external drive to make it a "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

I had a standard Iomega 120GB external drive that wasn't formatted in such a way, and when I CCC'd all of my stuff to the drive, it wouldn't boot. It has to be re-formatted to that "Volume Format"

btcomm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
What would I do to even get the external bootable? When I clicked the clone button it made an image file on the external not a bootable drive.

What options would I have to check and what setting would I have to change to just get it to to be a bootable drive instead of creating an image of the main HD on it?

ajchapinjr.com

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Give this a shot:
1. Open Disk Utility. Highight the drive in the left sidebar, and click into th "Patrition" tab. Under Volume Scheme, select 1 Partition, name it whatever you desire, and make sure the "Format" is "Mas OS Extended (Journaled)"

That ensures that the drive will be boot-able.

2) Go to CCC. Make sure that the "TARGET DISK" is the OTHER HARD DRIVE, not "New disc image," or a similar option. Make sure that "Copy everything from source to target" is selected, and hit "Clone."

Hope that helps...

btcomm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Sadly no.

FireWire only.

Tough break, this powerbook is horrible. No usb bootable drives, has that stupid latch that makes it hard to take apart and hard to make it look good when you put it back.

:((((((

Someone save me from this dreaded mac.

I guess I'm off to buy a firewire drive ugggg.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.