Carbon Copy Cloner recovery volume?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, May 1, 2018.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 68000

Anyone have any idea why on every video of using CCC it offers to do a recovery volume partition before or after it's cloned, but it never came up for me. Is it important to have that, and if so any idea why it never offered that, or is that only on a paid version?

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

It has always offered to make the recovery partition for me IF my source drive had a recovery partition present.

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 68000

Weird. Thank you. I did make 1 partition. Will maybe have another go. Thanks

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 68000

Thinking about it, maybe 10.6.8 doesn't have that, I thought it did have though when booting with 'option' key?

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Ahhh .... there is the problem. I believe the recovery partition was introduced with Lion 10.7. Prior to that you required a CD or thumb drive.

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 68000

Well spotted, that's probably why it didn't come up for me then. So there is no need to make a partition then when cloning 10.6.8 it would appear
    Trying to remember now what the 3rd option was on the boot, internal, external drive and... not that then

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that 10.6 even utilized a "recovery partition".

Didn't the first iteration of the "recovery partition" come with OS 10.7 ...?

8. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 68000

Remind me, but when you start with the option key there was the 10.6.8 HDD the external 10.6.8 SSD and one other option to click, which I thought was the one you needed for recovery mode, and assumed that was it, but I could be completely wrong, wouldn't be the first time? So is it not there because it came with the disks?