Carbon Copy Cloner - Reducing the Size

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohsoasian, Feb 25, 2013.

1. ohsoasian, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

ohsoasian macrumors newbie

Is there anyway I can reduce the 16.12GB required to fit onto my 16GB USB drive? I have tried deselecting everything while still making the clone bootable, but it still says it is 16.12GB. Is there anyway I can use 2 drives or something like that?

2. imorton macrumors 6502

I think IMHO that there is a "compress" option in CCC somewhere.

3. ohsoasian thread starter macrumors newbie

4. jwksmith macrumors member

Install a bootable image on your USB drive from your install CD. Trim that and add whatever apps you need. Or, buy a 32 GB USB drive.

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Can't you remove all the basic apps like Garageband and stuff. Those usually have example files that take up quite a lot of space.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No, but you may be able to deselect some items on the left side there to get down where you need to be. Sounds like you are pretty close. Try removing:

/Library/Caches
    ~/Library/Caches (~ = your /Users/username folder)

Also, I beleive by default CCC copies over the 650MB Recovery HD. You could remove that.

7. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

If it's a .dmg or .iso you can run this:

hdiutil compact /path/to/file

It will recoup space if it is available for reclamation.

"compact image scans the bands of a sparse (SPARSE or SPARSEBUNDLE) disk image containing an HFS filesystem, removing those parts of the image which are no longer being used by the filesystem. Depending on the location of files in the hosted filesystem, compact may or may not shrink the image. For SPARSEBUNDLE images, completely unused band files are simply removed."