Carbon Copy Cloner sells out to advertisers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by krye, Aug 8, 2008.

1. krye macrumors 68000

krye

What's up with this? Carbon Copy Cloner used to be such an awesome app. Free too. I threw the developer $5 when I heard about it. I just installed an update and now I am being forced to stare at advertisements from OWC.com! What gives? Nice way to cheese out and crap up your interface.

Is this the future of free software? I hope not, because it looks cheap and crappy. Something we Mac users have grown accustomed to not seeing on our platform of choice. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

lol that looks so bad, what made them do that i have no idea

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Does it really matter?

It's a lengthy, boring process that isn't exactly fun to watch.

They're offering an app that would cost money on other platforms (and there are a lot of paid alternatives too) for free.

An advert underneath a progress bar isn't the end of the world.

It's not like every picture file it copies gets an embedded advert or every folder name is changed to "Best Buy".

4. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Would you rather that they do this and make some money, or they shut down?

I don't understand people these days - they want a good product for cheap, but complain about small things like ads. You should write to the developer to make two versions - a cheap, but ad-oriented one, and an expensive ad-free one. Let's see which one sells the most.

5. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

While I know that they don't typically send your data over the Internet, I have traditionally stayed away from software with embedded advertisements.

I prefer my software to be basically "free-standing". By that, I mean that I prefer to install it and have it run locally without constantly pulling data or sending data over the Internet.

In todays world, that line gets fuzzier and fuzzier all the time.

But, with embedded advertisements, it kind of shoves it in your face that the program you are using to backup your data is actively communicating over the Internet.

Since it could be sending as well as receiving, it creates an appearance of potential security risk.

I know that the developer is likely not doing anything malicious. I've used CCC for many years. And, I have always liked it.

I find this a sad day if you must use the advertisement based model.

The reasonable compromise, is to use advertisements to support the free version and to offer a paid version without advertisements. I've paid for many programs that used this model.

I don't want advertisements streamed to me. And, I don't like knowing that something that is accessing every file on my system is also accessing the Internet to pull advertisements. What else might it potentially be doing while communicating over the Internet?

Again, I do trust this particular developer. But, the new design model would make me question it just on appearance. If I had no experience with this developer, then I would automatically avoid his software based on this new addition.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

In the Carbon Copy Cloner overview, the developer has the following to say about that (and note that if you have already donated as the OP said he did you can disable the ads very simply with a clear conscience) :

"What does CCC cost?

Carbon Copy Cloner doesn't cost you a dime until you completely trust it. That's the way all backup software should work -- pay when you really feel confident that it's going to do the job that it claims. CCC is "uncrippled" shareware, meaning that all features are available whether you've paid or not. No registration is ever required, but once you trust it, a small donation is appreciated for continued development. Choose "Donate to Bombich Software" from CCC's Help menu to send a donation or use the link below. Thanks!

Note: You'll probably notice right away that there is now an ad banner at the bottom of the cloning status panel while CCC is running. I know what you're thinking, it's an abomination! Right? Well, whenever I post updates to CCC, my bandwidth costs go through the roof. Donations aren't keeping up. My options are either to stop delivering CCC or subsidize with ads. I have chosen to subsidize my bandwidth costs with advertising for a company that I know and trust, and can wholeheartedly endorse as a sponsor. I also introduced the ads as unobtrusively as possible -- in a location and at a time that shouldn't affect your use of CCC.

You can make the ads go away by sending in a donation! Simply click on the "I paid" button in the Donation dialog and the ads will no longer appear. If you're affiliated with an Education institution, please click on the "I paid" button *without* sending in a donation (seriously). And while you're waiting for CCC to do its business, feel free to check out Other World Computing's deals on hard drives, RAM, etc. :)"

7. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I generally despise ads embedded in programs, but I'll make an exception for CCC. It's such an awesome program and if clicking an ad is my way to donate, then I'll click it every time I'm backing up something. Plus, everybody knows OWC and knows it's a respectable company. At least it's not some iffy "Get your free (insert item here)!!!" or some other random website nobody's ever heard of.

8. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Good that he does enable you to turn it off. So, that would satisfy me.

I'm curious as to how beneficial his advertisement bar is going to be for him if he doesn't require a code to deactivate it.

9. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

If it was Playboy, he could probably get rich quite quickly.

Everyone would be launching their backup program just to watch the advertisements. No one would be backing up data, but they'd be running the program all the time.

Either that, or everyone would start backing up their data hourly :D

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well, if you are running Little Snitch to monitor any outbound requests from your Mac (as I would certainly recommend everybody does just to be aware of what is going on regarding things of that nature) you would see that there are NO outbound requests from Carbon Copy Cloner unless you have your preferences set to automatically check for updates on program startup, hence no sharing of your information.

11. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Reminds me of my initial reaction to having to watch commercials before the
    movie I just paid for at the theater.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

While I don't approve much of the ad, how many of you sit in front of CCC for the entire process? :rolleyes:

Got to pay for bandwidth somehow.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It still is an awesome app.

The developer needs to be compensated for his development time.

Not really.

Yep, it's a good app.

I think this is a hazard of the Internet. Folks think they are entitled to all electrons and that these electrons are free.

14. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

SuperDuper still offer a free version that requires no adds. I it really bugs you...

I wonder what happens when no internet connection is available? I always disable it when making a full backup anyway.

15. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

That's true, but the free (demo) version of SuperDuper has limitations on its functions (such as only complete backups, not incrementals) which is not the case with Carbon Copy Cloner.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) or SuperDuper (SD) are wonderful backup and cloning options.

The developers deserve something for their efforts.

17. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I don't see this as "selling out" to advertisers. I think it's fine. This is a free country and a free market economy. If you don't like it, then don't use it. :p
    Or pay for it and disable the ads....

18. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

So what? Everyone deserves to make a living. If he has been forced to do this then it is because people have just been freeloading without donating / buying the shareware.

19. krye thread starter macrumors 68000

krye

I know, I know. I love CCC, I also do all my Mac shopping at OWC. As a matter of fact, the drive that I was cloning to was just purchased from OWC. I also sent the dev a $5 donation for the free download. (Since I was so impressed with the ease and convenience of the app.)

It's nice that you can turn off the ads. I just wanted to get some feedback from other users as to their opinion on in-app ads. It seemed like a nice topic to talk about.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I'm glad that he continues development (improvement) of CCC.

CCC rocks! :)