Resolved Carbon Copy Cloner & sparse bundle disk image

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gixene, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Gixene macrumors regular

Gixene

MacRumors Community,

Can Carbon Copy Cloner clone a sparse bundle disk image onto an external bootable drive? If "Yes" is the answer. Would I be able to open or 'mount' this sparse bundle disk image if I booted from the external drive?

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/backing-up-disk-image

Based on Bombich's above words, it appears this is not possible. However, I am quite computer illiterate for such a young age and want to be sure I correctly understand!

Thank you, Gixene

2. HDFan macrumors 6502

CCC as it says in it's name is a "cloner" - it duplicates exactly on the target disk exactly what it finds on the source disk. "Files unique to the destination will be permanently removed" (message in the app).

There is a toggle to keep these files, but again the app says "Modified and deleted files will be cached as space allows on the destination". I believe they are moved to a separate directory, which would then make the disk non-bootable.

If your source disk is bootable AND has your sparse image on it then a clone should work.

3. Gixene thread starter macrumors regular

Gixene

Thank you. I imagine it is important to mount the disk while cloning?

4. HDFan, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016

HDFan macrumors 6502

Both the source and the target disks have to be mounted. That's how the operating system knows they exist. When the disk is mounted a folder with the same name is created in the directory /Volumes. This folder points to your newly mounted disk. At this point this folder is no different than any other folder on your system.

When the disk is dismounted the folder in /Volumes is removed. As far as the OS is concerned the disk doesn't exist.

5. Gixene thread starter macrumors regular

Gixene

Understood. Is there a method to avoid a disk image and simply password protect a file?