Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlopan

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
CCC didn't and has not worked on a external ssd for booting. samsung t7. I use supeduper
CCC is a great incremental on the same type of ssd
weird

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
ccc can do a bootable drive but it's not stable no matter what they say

I do a clone / bootable back up 1 - 2 times a week (Both Mojave CCC5 and Monterey CCC6) - never had one fail and I test the backups to make sure they boot and work properly - very consistent and "stable"

For Big Sur / Monterey it might be worth checking the CCC version? and the Drives (and cables?) to make sure they are not the issue? - also for Catalina - Big Sur - Monterey - best to upgrade to current version of CCC6 - V6.05 or later

Last edited:

dockgaze

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2022
Latest version Superduper works fine for bootable Samsung T5 SSD on my M1 macmini, no snags. Haven’t felt the need to go CCC.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
CCC 6.1 (7303) is now available - release notes

CCC6-1-update-build7303.png

Reactions: Apple_Robert

godzfire

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
I'm coming from a mostly identical thread in the Monterey section (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/monterey-carbon-copy-cloner-users-thread.2302964), so might as well as the same thing here I did there:

I'm both glad and sad I found this thread. Glad because it helped answer some questions from someone who upgraded from being on Mojave to Monterey last night and not knowing why my clone to a new drive wasn't showing as bootable, but very sad to know that- from what I'm understanding- I can no longer do a simple clone / incremental clone of my hard drive at any point or update like it is in Mojave and it's bootable. Now if I want a bootable clone and there's been any system updates, I have to wipe the drive each time.

That's heartbreaking to hear, and breaks my backup method I use. I have a single volume 1 TB hard drive with a bootable copy of 10.14, and my other drives pointed to it as well separated at root-level, so the different jobs don't erase the other tasks. If I'm understanding correctly, that is no longer possible, unless I try to partition my backup drive now into different volumes, or will a that screw it up as well? So confused...

Some people are saying SuperDuper doesn't have this problem, is that true?

rumbobmac

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2022
I am moving from PC to new Mac studio and have a question about CCC. Will this allow me to make an exact duplicate of my pictures? It seems that it will. Second, will it allow me to do full/incremental backups to my QNAP NAS? This second part will help in case some files get corrupted and I need to restore. With file copy if something wrong with my master copy, it will get copied over to the backup.

And couple more things, does CCC support block level copy? What about compression? Encryption? Thanks.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You don't want compression or encryption with CCC.
With a cloned backup, you want things UNcompressed and EASY to "get to" in a "moment of extreme need". If a backup has sensitive data on it, hide it or lock it up. Don't encrypt it.

Block level copy?
I don't think so.

What CCC does is create an EXACT COPY of your drive. Everything on it (there are limitations with the System files because Apple has changed the way drives are created/partitioned/accessed) reflect what is on the "Macintosh HD - Data" drive (where everything you install/use on the computer is kept).

rumbobmac

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2022
You don't want compression or encryption with CCC.
With a cloned backup, you want things UNcompressed and EASY to "get to" in a "moment of extreme need". If a backup has sensitive data on it, hide it or lock it up. Don't encrypt it.

Block level copy?
I don't think so.

What CCC does is create an EXACT COPY of your drive. Everything on it (there are limitations with the System files because Apple has changed the way drives are created/partitioned/accessed) reflect what is on the "Macintosh HD - Data" drive (where everything you install/use on the computer is kept).

Thanks. So CCC is basically a file copy program? What is meant by snapshots that talk about? I am looking for something to prevent the problem where my original files get messed up and then those errors propagate to the backups I have. Does CCC allows keeping last X versions of each file? I have downloaded the demo but need to play with it.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Thanks. So CCC is basically a file copy program? What is meant by snapshots that talk about? I am looking for something to prevent the problem where my original files get messed up and then those errors propagate to the backups I have. Does CCC allows keeping last X versions of each file? I have downloaded the demo but need to play with it.
What you refer is "SafetyNet" : it keeps copies of deleted and/or modified files as space on the target allows.
And ... "a file copy program" ???? Just try to copy the system yourself: never in a million years.
;JOOP!

rumbobmac

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2022
What you refer is "SafetyNet" : it keeps copies of deleted and/or modified files as space on the target allows.
And ... "a file copy program" ???? Just try to copy the system yourself: never in a million years.
;JOOP!
Got it.

No I wouldn't be copying system files myself. :)

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I am moving from PC to new Mac studio and have a question about CCC. Will this allow me to make an exact duplicate of my pictures? It seems that it will. Second, will it allow me to do full/incremental backups to my QNAP NAS?

Yes. I run multiple backups to various NAS units via CCC.

I am looking for something to prevent the problem where my original files get messed up and then those errors propagate to the backups I have.

I don't use CCC snapshots so can't comment. To solve the problem of a file that disappeared where I don't catch it for a long time (months, years) I use on-line services which have very granular restore capabilities.

rumbobmac

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2022
Yes. I run multiple backups to various NAS units via CCC.

I don't use CCC snapshots so can't comment. To solve the problem of a file that disappeared where I don't catch it for a long time (months, years) I use on-line services which have very granular restore capabilities.

Mind sharing which online service. I have backblaze.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.