Carbon Copy Cloner

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rpg51, Jul 28, 2012.

1. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

I have a time capsule. Time machine is making regular back ups to time capsule and working well.

I have a large usb drive and I have made a bootable clone of my system on a partition on that usb drive. Is it possible to schedule incremental backups in Carbon Copy Cloner that will attach them selves to the bootable clone? Or is it necessary to make a new bootable clone of the full system periodically?

Finally, is it possible to make bootable clone while the usb drive is connected directly to time capsule rather than directly to my macbook?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, you can setup the backup set you want then click "schedule this task" at the bottom of the CCC screen and you will find all kinds of options, including timed and incremental backup options. You can set it up to just update the clone and also archive any changes on the drive.

Read this about the remote issue. You CAN backup to a USB key on a Time Capsule, but only data (like documents and photos) and not the OS itself... so it won't be a clone.

3. rpg51 thread starter macrumors 6502

rpg51

Not clear

So I have my external usb drive attached to my Time Capsule. It has two partitions. One has a bootable clone of my MacBook Air system. If I try to schedule backups to that partition it appears that it will work but is it going to make a separate complete back up (as opposed to bootable clone) or is it going to glom the incremental changes onto the bootable clone?

If I had a crash on my MBA hard drive and had to reinstall - could I use an old bootable clone and then use time machine to bring the changes made after the bootable clone? If so, is there any reason to do incremental back ups via Carbon Copy Cloner?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are not going to be able to make a bootable clone with any external drive attached to a Time Capsule because the system (OS X) sees it as a network drive and not a HFS+ format drive that is required to make a bootable system drive. Now if you want to use this method just to copy over some documents or photos, that will work.

Yes, you could restore a clone then use a Time Machine backup to bring back more recent files.

The only reason to do incremental archives on a CCC clone is if you want to keep "versions" of files, like old and new versions of a document you created for example.

5. rpg51 thread starter macrumors 6502

rpg51

Thank you.

For my purposes a bootable clone and time machine will suffice.

You have been a great help. Thank you.