Carbon Copy Cloner

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skippymac, Feb 21, 2014.

1. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Hi Guys,

Sorry for this post, I've been looking around trying to figure this out but it's so hard to get exactly the right answer without asking!

I've recently set up a debian file server as a sort of network backup drive. I've got time machine working with samba but it feels a bit hacked together and I'd like a more elegant solution, particularly that will backup automatically without any input from me.

I'm looking at getting CCC as I believe it works well with Samba shares, can anyone confirm this? If so are you working this kind of setup at the moment?

The thing that's holding me back is that I can't figure out how CCC handles restoration of old backups. I get that it creates a bootable copy of your drive (which is great) but can I:

A) Restore my whole system from a backup X amount of time ago?

B) Take specific files or directories from an old backup and put them back like I can in time machine?

If the answer to these is yes, will it work with the incremental backup feature or only if I do full backups every time?

Thanks, wanted to find this stuff out before dropping £30 on the software!

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Well, I do not know the answer to your question but I believe you can legally get the older version of CCC for free from their website. It isn't "suppose" to work with Mavericks but I haven't had any issues.