Carbon Copy Cloning

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tekulvi, Feb 22, 2008.

1. tekulvi macrumors member

I am putting a new hd in my macbook. I have an external ( in enclousure) and have formated the drive to HFS+ ( mac extended journaled).

I have a copy of Carbon Copy on the new hd and a copy of it in the internal. I would like to make a bootable copy onto the new drive and boot from there to test it.

The question is, how do I make sure that the external drive is bootable? Does that just automatically happen when I make the clone?

2. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

What is more important is what kind of a drive is the external? If it's not FireWire, it's not bootable. It's a hardware issue and has nothing to do with the drive you're putting in the enclosure.

I would suggest just booting with your restore or OS X DVD, install the OS on the new drive, and use Migration Assistant to bring everything over. That's probably the easiest way to do it.

<shameless plug> I prefer to use Drive Genius to "duplicate" the drive, which allows you to transfer an exact copy of the old drive onto an new (larger) drive and reset it to recognize the whole "new" drive.

Just my personal preference... I never had any luck with CCC, but I know people who swear by it.

MacDann

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yeah, I've had perfect success with CCC and as long as it is a Firewire drive you will be able to boot from a full backup.

Just hold the Option key at bootup and once you've completed the full CCC backup you should see the Firewire drive as a boot option.

Drive Genius sounds like a nice solution too but can you do incremental backups with that method where it just adds files to the copy that have been changed or removes deleted files?

4. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

By doing this all you have to do is format the new drive then use DG to make the copy don't you? Don't have to fart about with re installing the OS first? Am I right?

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Unless it's a CCC-unique issue, USB drives are bootable on Intel Macs. SuperDuper! does it no problem (though FW is preferable because of speed, anyway).

6. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Yes, you are correct. You can boot with the Drive Genius DVD, have your original drive in the enclosure, new drive in the computer, and DG will "clone" or duplicate, as it's called, an exact image of the original drive on the new drive. Once that's done, you just have to go in to "partition" (I think) and reset the new drive to recognize the whole partition.

I went from a 100G drive to a 320G drive last night on my MBP and it took about 90 minutes for the whole process, if I recall.

Quite painless, too.

MacDann

7. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

True,.. I did this very recently. OS X does not always cooperate using key commands on bootup, I find that the easiest way to make this happen is to connect the drive, and set it as the desired startup drive in system pref's.

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Thanks for the clarification. Not owning any USB external HDs I was not sure and was just trusting the previous poster. :eek:

9. tekulvi thread starter macrumors member

The drive I have is the same one you have...a WD 320 Passport. It is a USB. Is drive genius free?

10. tekulvi thread starter macrumors member

Just answered my own question. It looks like it costs 99.00. Im going to try and save the money for the time being.