Carbon copy issue ( Macbook to Imac )

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by S.Templar, Dec 5, 2009.

1. S.Templar macrumors newbie

Hi i downloaded carbon copy and when i click my external hd it says this

CCC requires an HFS+-formatted target volume. I dont understand what it means even after reading the help page.

And also say i would install something now on my new imac and then i would migrate the file i backed up with carbon copy would those files still be there in my mac or how does that work ?

Please if somebody could help me with this would be much appreciated, thx

btw: this 27 inch screen is so big and bright its crazy :D

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

HFS+ is the file system Mac OS uses. NTFS and FAT32 are Microsoft files systems for DOS and Windows based systems.

So maybe your external drive is not properly formatted with HFS+, but with NTFS or FAT32.

You could use the Migration Assistant and Target Disk mode to transfer data from your MacBook to your iMac, if that is what you want, you weren't clear.

Also to find out things, you can use a search engine. For example: http://tinyurl.com/cm9f2e or Target Disk Mode or Migration Assistant.

There is also MRoogle for searching these forums.

3. S.Templar thread starter macrumors newbie

well what i want to do is copy everything so that i don't have to reinstall all the programs. So i have to first get it on to my external hd. I bought that external hd in a mac store

WHat im doing now is copying all thats on my external hd. So i will prob have to reformat the external hd ? And if that would work and i migrate from my external to my imac will the stuff i copied from my external hd earlier still be there ?

4. newdeal macrumors 68020

you need to clone your drive to the USB drive, then you need to boot the second computer from the USB drive, so you can format the drive that is on there right now and clone the USB drive to it. All drives need to be HFS+ with GUID partition table. Your macs already will have that. Hook your usb drive to the first computer, go to disc utility (applications > utilities > disk utility) then select the usb drive. Go to partition and from the drop down select one partition, type in a name for it, click on advanced and select GUID partition table, then click on the drop down right underneath where you typed the name and select Mac OS extended (journaled) then partition the drive. Cloner can then copy the drive from your mac to the usb drive. I am not sure how to boot your second mac from the usb drive but if you google it I am sure there is just some key you need to hold down while you are booting it. Once its booted from the USB drive go to disk utility again and do the exact same thing you did before only this time instead of partitioning the USB drive you need to partition the drive inside the second mac instead (select the same options for file system and GUID partition table but give it a differant name like Macintosh HD) then clone from the usb drive to the second mac and reboot the system

5. newdeal macrumors 68020

oh you could likely also do this with migration assistant but target disk mode wont work because you need to be booted off a differant drive in order to format the internal drive on the second mac

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I"m not sure that will work, think I read something to that effect the other day, that you can't boot (say) a powerbook with a system disk (or clone of, same thing) from a different machine like an iMac or a Mini.

Best perhaps to post a new thread on this exact subject before you waste a lot of time and effort cloning and then find it doesn't work anyway?