Carbon fiber for macbook pro 13inch.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mywhip, May 23, 2010.

1. mywhip macrumors newbie

Is there any out there that already have the apple logo cut out? I want to get a carbon fiber vinyl, but i want the apple logo to show through. Anyone solved this issue? I saw one where he took the top part apart, but i don't want to do all that..

2. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

go to etsy.com and search carbon fiber vinyl or something along those words. best of luck!

3. mywhip thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, will look right now. I am hoping to get something to make my macbook not so plain looking.

4. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

i personally like the plain look, gives the macbook its "pro" look :p

5. mywhip thread starter macrumors newbie

6. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

looks like it will, the unibody mbp's haven't changed since the last generations. that carbon fiber looks nice though. good find!

7. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

I have it on mine. It's 3M. I put a piece of printer paper over the Apple logo, turned the brightness up and traced the logo. Put the logo onto the CF overlay, used an Xacto knife and cut the apple out. Put the overlay on the MBP, then used a razorblade to trim around the edges. I put CF on the bottom also although it makes it slide a bit more..

[​IMG]

8. kenman884, May 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2014

kenman884 macrumors member

That, sir, looks like a very fine job.

I dunno if they have this for hard cases, but the sticker I created for my MBP on skinit came with the Apple logo precut, with an option to cover it up anyway. I would advise research.

9. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

From what I've seen the stickers are flat right? This has texture to it. Was a PITA to cut, took me two tries. First time I just used a razor blade but the Apple wasn't right..

10. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

wow that looks really nice, where did you get the CF from? link? i might end up doing this too!

11. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

metrodecals.com

It's 3M di-noc CF overlay. Stuff is expensive..

12. Nopstnz8 macrumors member

Nopstnz8

Ebay has them too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MacBook-Pro-13-...ultDomain_0&hash=item483a9d4e36#ht_2475wt_883

I've been considering this since I love carbon fiber, but i'm kinda iffy on it since it may make the Mac look a little too busy. If I were to do it, I would only cover the outer shell, and the palmrest shell not including the trackpad or the keyboard.

It also depends on the CF as well. There are two types of CF dry and glossy. It looks like the link provided earlier was for a glossy version, while the one I found is dry. If anyone knows of a for sure supplier for glossy that is also scratch proof like the Invisible Shield, lmk. Thanks.

Here are some better pics of the one I provided the link for:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...e=off&sa=N&tbs=isch:1&ei=ijX6S6y7FIGCNtXdsfwB

http://forum.notebookreview.com/apple-mac-os-x/480839-review-skinit-mbp-cf-vinyl-palmrest.html

13. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

OP, whatever you buy, don't get a film with a round cut out for the Apple logo, that looks butt ugly. The one you found in the SGP store looks nice.