Carbon Fiber iPad 2? This is Better

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mattstkc, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

2. Gryzor macrumors 6502

How do you know it's "better"? It's different, sure, but better? All relative, and until Apple use it, and shows that really IS "better"...

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

Once again, Apple's scientists/engineers come up with all sorts of patentable innovations, some of which make it into actual products. This may never see the light of day (or may see the light of day outside of Apple). In any case it doesn't really relate to the aluminum back of the iPad.

As to "better" than carbon fiber, they're not competing technologies. One offers scratch resistance to stainless steel, the other offers high strength at reduced weight. So a "scratch-proof" coating on stainless steel doesn't reduce the weight of anything (and stainless steel weighs more than aluminum in any case)

4. Mattstkc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

it relates perfectly to iPad backing and any future iDevice or Apple computer. I've read on other threads regarding the use of Carbon Fiber and iPad cases that the back is easily scratchable and I've seen it for myself.

They could switch to a stainless steel back which would allow them probably to get rid of the stupid black bar on the 3G devices and use the scratch resistant coating.

of course they could also release iPad 3 next week it's all BS speculation I know.

I just think with scratched backing being an issue for everyone it seems like a logical step when other tablet manufacturers are using plastic or other materials, Apple can still keep it metal, but protect it better.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's not going to happen on the iPad. There's zero advantage. Just something that they came across and decided to pursue. A solution in search of a problem.

And there's no way we'll see carbon fiber. Period. I was just making a point that they address different problems.